Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

WF New People Introductions

Hi everyone. I'm a little more comfortable playing guitar, but lately, I've been wanting to explore bamboo woodwinds. So I got myself a pair of Indian bamboo bansuri flutes. One is fipple and the other transverse. I played the recorder for a couple years in middle school, so the fipple comes much more naturally. However, I've read that players can have a lot more control while playing transverse. I can't figure out the trick to the air hole though. any time I make any note changes, what placement I have gets thrown off. I hope I can figure out that problem somewhere in this forum, I'm having a blast so far lol.

Howdy! I'm pretty useless on flute, but we've got a bunch of folks here that can help you out!

I'm Anthony...I've played reeds professionally for 40 years...from LV showrooms to theater pits...now play small group casuals on clarinet and flute...occasionally alto sax.

I occasionally teach clarinet to adult students here in Louisville....over the years I've amassed sop, alto, tenor and bari saxes (had many different models of each); clarinet, bass clarinet, picc, alto and bass flutes and bassoon. I sold off all the saxes except a fine BA alto as well as the alto flute and the bassoon....and a lot my mouthpieces (I had far too many, each one to fit a particular playing situation)....which doesn't mean I don't miss playing them.

I'm here mostly to hang out and talk about music and playing wood.

To Ghoulio

The trick to flute sound is embouchure (and as with any wind instrument...support).

The trick to embouchure is long tones; play a G scale starting on the low G. Set a metronome, count four beats on each tone at 60. Through each tone increase volume to beat 2 then decrease back down to p.

Throughout, listen to the sound and tone; you want to get a full sound, with control. It's not just embouchure...it's also support from your diaphragm (if you run out of air, think about where your breath is coming from and keeping the throat open). If the note cracks (E can be especially difficult) or you run out of air, you may not supporting the tone properly. If the note is not full, make minute adjustments...lower lip placement...pull the corners back, direction of air stream.

Start each practice session with 15 minutes of this tone exercise and you should improve (it took me four weeks to get a sound out of flute when I first started playing...so don't get discouraged).

Your reward should be a beautiful sound.

I'm going to post some bebop bass flute in a bit....I like playing jazz on off-the-wall instruments...kind of fits my personality.

Hello to all,

I'm new on the block. This winter I became interested in the recorder and I'm trying to make peace with my tenors. My tenors are habitually telling and showing me what they do not like. I'm not sure if they are jealous of each other or the entire flock.

BobH.

Welcome Bob. I have a set of sop to bari recorders and I have to say that they are very finicky, at least for me. It is way too easy to overblow them. But if that were my only instrument, I would expect with time and practice I could overcome my saxophone preferences. Cheers.

Hi, you probably noticed me joining on SoTW in November (I read this and SoTW without registering for a few months before I registered) and post some times since then if you go there; I figured I'd join this too.
A bit about me:
I'm in high school, and play Eb, Bb, and Bass Clarinets, along with Tenor and Bari Saxes.

Paul was born in 1953 in Decatur, Indiana. He started doing minor repairs in his dad's music store at age 15. In 1972, he went to the Allied Band Repair facility in Elkhorn Wisconsin and completed 48 weeks training on brass and woodwind repair. He successfully operated his own repair shop for many years doing complete overhaul and re-lacquer jobs on anything from piccolos to tubas.

Paul was born in 1953 in Decatur, Indiana. He started doing minor repairs in his dad's music store at age 15. In 1972, he went to the Allied Band Repair facility in Elkhorn Wisconsin and completed 48 weeks training on brass and woodwind repair. He successfully operated his own repair shop for many years doing complete overhaul and re-lacquer jobs on anything from piccolos to tubas.
Pete will now refer to himself in third person.

Hello everyone, my name is Clare Hillier Gonzalez. I live in Markham, Ontario, and do instrument sales at Cosmo Music in Richmond Hill, Ontario.

Been playing clarinet since age 13, sax since high school. I'm currently playing in my town's concert band, and the Wychwood Clarinet Choir in Toronto.

Thank you Gandalfe!

the clarinet choir does 3 or 4 shows a year. this year (2014-2015) we had our fall concert, a christmas concert for the church we practise in, and we will perform our spring concert twice (once to a retirement home, once as the official performance).

next year we have some outdoor shows planned as well, and I think we are adding a show in Feb/March

we also run a Clarinet Day with workshops, clinicians, reading sessions, vendors, it's lots of fun!

Clarinet Day 2015 poster.jpg

Here is a link to Clarifunkation by Paul Saunders: a really great piece! so fun to play

http://paulsaundersclarinet.co.uk/product/clarifunkation/

I have a solo in our next concert, in a piece called "a lark in the clear air". the director likes to switch it up and share the solos

New guy from Canada

Hi everyone. My name is Eric. I live in the Cariboo district of British Columbia, Canada. I took clarinet lessons starting when I was 9 or 10 until I was 12 or so. I played through high school but stopped once I graduated. Now that I'm retired I've taken it up again, joining a community band about three years ago. I've got 3 Bb soprano clarinets, with my 'go to' instrument being a Backun cocobolo/gold Protege. I normally use a crystal mouthpiece with a 1.27mm tip opening. Glad to be here.

Back
Top Bottom