What are you listening to today?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ed, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Ed

Ed Founder Staff Member Administrator

I might have a handful of records left at the house but no turntable. I've debated about getting one again but space considerations and dirty looks will keep me using online music services. :D

Giberto and Getz sounds very good for this afternoon.

2. Connical

Connical

I spent 10 years of my life working for a A/V specialty store. Even though I know about the merits of a good turntable, mine was under wraps for more than 9 years. Like yourself, limited space pushed mine out of the system until now.
    As for my wife, she thinks of it as something akin to a Victrola. Needless to say, she doesn't use it at all. :emoji_rolling_eyes:

I listened to some Norman Brown today. A Wes Montgomery inspired guitarist.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  3. rleitch

rleitch

Aaak. Heartbreak and nostalgia!

I had to sell all my albums and my turntable to pay bills when I was an undergrad--I had 100s and 100s of great jazz and blues records and a really nice Rega table.

Rory

Ps. I've got the Tri-saxual Soul Champs lined up for the walk to work today!

4. Gandalfe

Gandalfe Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Listening to some Chris Botti right now and the fire alarm goes off. Remind me why I volunteered to be the floor captain?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  5. Ed

Is it possible to pick up a killer table on the used market these days?

A friend of mine has a killer tube amp and some really old speakers that just sound great. I have enough high maintenance hobbies though.

6. sideC

sideC Artist in residence Distinguished Member

Ed, I'm very turntable challenged these days. My wife picked up one of those retro styled Emerson record player with radio deals that I've been using in a pinch, but it spins a little too fast, raising the pitch slightly more than a half step. So I still need a good turntable.

I've been told that turntables are readily available today because dj's need them to do their thing..... scratching, or whatever it is that they do. I just need to find the time and money to go out and pick one up.

7. sideC

Er, forgot to post my listening for today.

I walked into the house and turned on the radio just in time to hear John Coltrane playing the beautiful ballad, "Theme For Ernie." Composed by Fred Lacey, and found on the "Soultrane" alblum, I believe. Lacey composed this beautiful elegy for the legendary Brooklyn altoist Ernie Henry, who's birthday is being celebrated today.

8. Gandalfe

Whoa, nicely wrapped story, kinda like a burrito where the end meets the beginning. Very nice...

9. Connical

Connical

Actually, there are lots of great deals to be had on tables today. Since the onslaught of digital audio, many have dumped their tables for the ease and convenience of cd's, mp3's ... I'd recommend hitting flea markets, pawn shops, and estate sales... Also try craigslist . There has been a bit of a resurgence in vinyl lately, and sites online are selling for quite a bit more than previously. For that reason, I'd stay away from most online sources. But with some patience, you should be able to find a great table locally for peanuts. I found a Thorens with a nice Stanton cartridge for $5 at a local yard sale. This would easily sell for close to $200 as is on Ebay. But the seller thought that tables are obsolete and worthless. Lots of folks out there share the same opinion. These are your target sellers, and there are plenty of them out there. With a little luck and some patience, you should find a steal out there somewhere. If I find something, I'll let you know. My brother in law already grabbed the Thorens.

I lisyened to some Mangione today. Bellevia, Give it what you got, Chase the clouds away ...

10. pete

pete Brassica Oleracea Staff Member Administrator

I've got one of my two new CDs: Trio Indiana. Pieces by DeFaye, Kulesha, Shickele and Kibbe. The trio is two clarinets (of varying pitches) and bass clarinet.

I'll review it, later ....

11. pete

pete Brassica Oleracea Staff Member Administrator

12. sideC

Thanks, Gandalfe.

Julian

13. Ed

Chuck Mangione - Feels So Good is playing right now. Before that I was listening to Elvis Costello and the song She. That's just a great song and I had to play it after catching a bit of Notting Hill on T.V.

I'm a sucker for Notting Hill.

14. Merlin

Merlin Content Expert/Moderator Staff Member CE/Moderator

That Notting Hill IS a pretty good movie, isn't it?

The only complaint I have is that it doesn't give my subwoofer much of a workout.

15. Ed

Listening to Sweet Home Chicago. Have a solo to play on bari on Wednesday night. Looking for inspiration.

16. Gandalfe

Two thumbs up for the sound track of WALL·E. WALT DISNEY RECORDS proudly presents the ORIGINAL SCORE by Thomas Newman. PLUS a BRAND NEW PETER GABRIEL single "Down To Earth".

17. Chris J

Chris J

Today

Nathan Davis "If"

Feels like I'm in a Starsky and Hutch episode.....

Chris

18. Ed

I played a bit of Desmond and Mulligan earlier.

19. Al Stevens

Al Stevens

Today I'll be listening to the Spring Concert of the community band I recently rejoined to play alto sax.

http://www.communitybandofbrevard.org

I built the website in the past few weeks as a part of my new participation in the band.

On the Listen page you can hear a recording of me accompanying on piano one of our vocalists as she sings "Going Home." That was back when I was in the trumpet section. Go figure.

20. saxhound

saxhound Moderator Staff Member CE/Moderator

Ed,

Didn't know you were working on that. We'll have to throw you into the rotation. Only problem is I'll have to stop copping the bari licks on tenor.