William Haynes Thermoclarinet

I used to want to play a metal clarinet in my jazz band. But because of the modern keyworks, the older instruments just are too hard for this doubler to handle. This is a gorgeous instrument, but the price alone puts it out of my range. Some premier clarinet player will snatch it up I'm sure.

I handled one once, but never got to play it. It "felt" better than most metal clarinets, if nothing else.

As far as the keywork goes, it's pretty much in line with conventional clarinet keywork, excepting only the three auxiliary mechanisms (and that low Eb isn't worth all that much anyway).

It will probably go to a well-off clarinet player who is also a "collector" of instruments. Just why people bother to collect these things is beyond my ken - maybe they return more on the investment than conventional vehicles...

Along these lines (but slightly more exotic), have any of the gentle repairfolk hereon ever had the chance to regulate a Romero system clarinet? If so, I would be interested in hearing how the heck you knew what to do.

I think this one's a bit more challenging.

QuartertoneClarinet.jpg

Wild guess: a clarinet that can be played in two different keys. The right side (looking from the top) would be lower pitched than the left. Probably designed by Rube Goldberg.

Would love to see a quarter tone capable sax. I've heard a few played a quarter tone flat or sharp through the years but that's something else! :D

Stick an unmodified Berg Larson metal mouthpiece on a Yamaha baritone and play it with a #3 reed, and you're halfway there...

On the above clarinet, it looks as if the rotor (the circular thing up above the "barrel" of the instrument) is not hooked up. I guess you could always reach up and flip it from setting to setting - awkward, but someone (probably Michelle Gringrass) would be willing to try.

Having suffered through some quarter-tone stuff (as an experiment with Washington University's ("of Saint Louis", as they always say on the sportscasts) symphonic group, I am glad that the trend was almost completely stillborn. Having said that I fully expect to have someone rise up and defend the practice.

Would love to see a quarter tone capable sax. I've heard a few played a quarter tone flat or sharp through the years but that's something else! :D
Disregarding Terry's comment -- :p -- one would think it'd be somewhat easy for a larger instrument. Cut some key cups in half, f'r instance. Probably play a little with the venting. Hey, you could sculpt the "pearls" so you wouldn't always have to play quarter tones.

(FWIW, I don't care for 1/4 tone music, but that's just a matter of taste.)

Sure. No problem. The address is 401 E Jefferson St., 85004. Tell her to c'mon down anytime! We'll have a ball!

Back
Top Bottom