Dismiss Notice
I hate the colors. What do I do?

At the far bottom of the page, on the left, is a menu or link that says, "Forum Default." Click on that and choose a different Style.

Wm. Lewerenz, St. Louis Clarinet mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces' started by TrueTone, Aug 26, 2016.

1. TrueTone

TrueTone Clarinet, Sax, Oboe, History

So yesterday my mom was very nice to me as usual and bought a Clarinet for me at an estate sale while the band was riding buses to a football game- a 1936 Conn 444N, I'll type something up on that later.
    But it came with a Wm. Lewerenz, St. Louis Clarinet mouthpiece, made of marbled red and black HR.
    Anyone know anything about it?
    (Oh I so wish Terry was still here, as he probably would have heard of them)
    It's not like this one, it's French styled, it doesn't have the rings for a string ligature: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Wm-...Mouthpiece-1-20mm-Excellent-Cnd-/232006070672

While it may not be relevant, he holds this patent: https://www.google.com/patents/US1401159

(Also, does anyone have an original barrel for the 444N also? I'd like that rather than the HR one with it which is obviously not right.)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  2. TrueTone

TrueTone Clarinet, Sax, Oboe, History

So I've now been playing it for a bit- it plays like a better version of the 5RV I used to use.
    Interestingly, the opening in the table is curved at the bottom, rather than a straight line, so like a sax mpc instead of a clar one.
    Oh and it's also marked with SPECIAL running down the length of the mouthpiece, I forgot to mention that.

3. pete

pete Brassica Oleracea Staff Member Administrator

What I was relatively interested in was that an overhauled 444N sold for $799 on eBay. That's a nice value for a horn not labeled "Selmer" or "Buffet." Of course, you also have to balance that price with the other ones that sold in the $130 to $150 range :).

I did a bit of searching and really didn't come up with much on the mouthpiece. I've seen vintage sax mouthpieces that are red, but they're not rubber. If that mouthpiece is a bit better than a 5RV, that's also a good value. Those are $83, new.

Our staff's websites: