Xenforo Update

Discussion in 'New Forum Stuff' started by pete, Jan 21, 2017.

1. pete

pete Brassica Oleracea Staff Member Administrator

I'm tentative planning to do this next weekend.

Tags:
    TrueTone and Gandalfe like this.
  2. Helen

Helen Content Expert Saxophones Staff Member Administrator

There's always something to update... That's what I find rather frustrating about software. I just update the 7 or 8 sites I look after--mine and those that belong to friends--and suddenly there's major updates for the CMS, or smaller updates for a whole bunch of plugins.

Between that and constantly having bots trying to hack 2 of the sites (mine and one that belongs to a friend's mom who was a yoga pioneer here in North America and Germany during the 70s and 80s), maintaining sites has become a part time job for me.

I am constantly trying to stay ahead of hackers with ensuring that I have the latest and greatest anti-hacking/bot/etc. software installed. But I never imagined when I started looking after and expanding my website in 2008 that I would have to do all this in order to keep my information/websites secure. itd_3d_ani_w60_smiles_049.gif

3. pete

I've gotta say, one of the most annoying things to update is Wordpress. I know that it's probably not more than once per month, but it feels like they want me to update something every single day. The main reason it's really annoying is because if you do the update right, you should make a full backup of your blog and its database first. That can take a long while if your blog is as picture heavy as ours are. And, if the update breaks your blog, you have to restore from backup, which can take days.

4. pete

I finally got around to this. All updatey. All backed up. RSVP if you see any problems.

TrueTone likes this.
  5. pete

XenForo 1.5.13 and Media Gallery 1.5.12 are now installed. If you see any problems, post here or e-mail me at thesaxinfo-at-gmail.com.

Gandalfe likes this.
  6. pete

Note that XenForo 2.0 public preview is available. I'm only mentioning this here because I'm pretty sure that I had seen this tagged as a "beta*" a week-ish ago, but that tag was removed.

--------------

* Geek speak:
    Developer Preview: Lots of problems, but take a look!
    Alpha: Still problems.
    Beta: Major problems, like turning your machine into molten slag, have been all ironed out.
    Release Candidate: All features are now set in stone and we don't think there are many bugs left.
    Gold Master: All good to ship. Maybe a really minor tweak or two needed.
    Release: Boxed and shipping.

This is generally the way that techies refer to their releases. There are generally a bunch of different ones at each level. As an example: Alpha 2.0.1234567.

7. pete

There are a few Xenforo updates that I need to install. None of them are considered serious, but I did a full backup yesterday.

This is a four-day weekend for me. I probably won't install the updates until Monday.

Gandalfe likes this.
  8. pete

Or, like, today. I'm backing up the changed files. So, probably in about an hour-ish.

9. pete

... Or exactly 39 minutes.

If you see any problems, RSVP. If you don't see something that you used to, RSVP.

I have a couple Style and Add-On updates to do, but they won't require me turning off the forum.

10. pete

The Elegance Green theme had some problems. I've deleted it for the moment and I'm trying some things.

11. pete

It looks like green is back on the menu.

12. pete

I also resized the page width on both the green and default styles, so there's now a little margin, rather than the full width of your display being taken up. I sorta like it. If you like it or hate it, RSVP.

Gandalfe likes this.
  13. Aulos303

Aulos303 _•_ •_• __ •_•_ •____| Banned :(

I just switched to the Green theme, can't see any difference on my phone (desktop view)

14. pete

I just checked on my iPhone. Looks OK. Do you have an Android phone? Microsoft Phone?

What I think may be happening is that the forum is getting cached on your browser. That makes sense. You don't want to always be hitting the network over your phone because that could be slow and cost you in bandwidth. You might want to try posting a brand new thread and see what happens.

There are only two differences between the Default and Green: Green doesn't have the icons I created for each forum area and it's green in places that were blue.