YouTube Goodness

Y'know, I should probably take an inventory of all the hard drives I have, some day. I know I've got an external 500gb, 80gb and 160 sitting in front of me, as I speak (and a couple of flash drives). I know I have more drives lying around, too.

Answering the question, I generally do not listen to YouTube for music because the audio quality is relatively low. Now, I do sometimes find a recording that's rare, like when I reposted a couple videos of folks playing Grafton Acrylic Alto (saxophones).

I do like the videos, in general, but the audio could be better.

It is nice to see that I've hooked you on the music from Cowboy Bebop.

Anyone else out there spending a lot of time on YouTube.com listening to music? I've created http://www.youtube.com/gandalfe to track what I'm listening to. Some of the music I am finding I thought was lost for ever. If I have a solo to do, I often search my 1 terrabyte drive at home or even faster just go to YouTube. What a resource. :cool:

Just as an aside, I just learned 2 months ago what a 1 terrabyte drive was. I had no idea they even existed. But since I have only got less than 1/3 of my 160 gig external drive filled with the backups of my desktop and my laptop, I guess I'm not the kind of user who will need the kind of storage space a tarrabyte drive provides. By the time I need a terrabyte, the 5 terrabyte drives will likely cost about $100!

YouTube is a love/hate relationship.

I love to be directed to some of the good vintage clips/music performances but I hate all the time I end up wasting after finishing the clip and going to the next and then the next and...........

By the time I need a terrabyte, the 5 terrabyte drives will likely cost about $100!
My terrabyte drive cost $360 which is amazing to me.
YouTube is a love/hate relationship. I love to be directed to some of the good vintage clips/music performances but I hate all the time I end up wasting after finishing the clip and going to the next and then the next and...
I just find it interesting to see what my friends listen too. What a vast collection of music. I have purchased CDs of musicians who put their best out there.

Gandalfe: Your last comment interested me. As you may know, I spent the last 12 years of my working life chasing video pirates and film thieves for the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA). I was an employee so I followed and spouted the company-line. But I was never comfortable with the MPAA's claims that Internet piracy and street vendors caused the huge losses claimed by the MPAA and their member companies. Too many folks I knew may have downloaded a film or bought a pirated movie on the street, but later they ended up buying the real thing, just like you mentioned.

Oh, all of that pirating was criminal and the enforcement of those laws protected the public as much (or more than) as protecting the copyright holders.

On youtube, I was thrilled to come across several live videos of Sidney Bechet, even one claiming Bix was in the ensemble. Had I not seen them on youtube, I probably would still not have seen them. I don't where I'd ever find such videos. So if those video clips were violating someone's copyright and were taken down off of youtube, my viewing of them certainly didn't represent lost revenue. I respect the concept of copyright, but I wish some reasonableness would come into play. DAVE

The recordings are usually of so poor and quality, that it forces me to purchase a clean copy. But the vintage stuff really is priceless. Samething happens on MySpace except there it's about only having one of the songs from the CD. If someone is making a collection of videos from YouTube and MySpace, I'm not sure the poor quality will ever make it worthwhile.

Yes, I admit to spending lots of time on youtube. Well, maybe not lots, but a very good chunk of time every few days. I'm mainly checking out singers, not too much jazz singers, but mainly r&b, pop, and everything else that has a style label. My style on the instrument is very much rooted in singing, so I'm constantly on a quest for beauty and grace when it comes to melodic interpretation. Singers don't have keys to press, mechanisms to get in the way when moving from note to note, so the good ones seem to have a very natural way of phrasing.

And it's fun to do a search and find something that I haven't heard in years.

Like everyone else I love finding great vintage stuff on youtube. I found a video of Mulligan playing a Vandoren B35 that was interesting.

The recordings are usually of so poor and quality, that it forces me to purchase a clean copy. But the vintage stuff really is priceless. Samething happens on MySpace except there it's about only having one of the songs from the CD. If someone is making a collection of videos from YouTube and MySpace, I'm not sure the poor quality will ever make it worthwhile.
And referencing Dave ....

(I used to administrate copyright for a church. I feel for you, dude.)

If it's something I like, I'd definitely buy it -- if it's available. A lot of the stuff I like isn't. I'm a current member of Netflix and former member of Blockbuster, so if there's a video I want, I can bug them about it and they'll eventually get it for me to rent, but if I didn't see the low-quality YouTube video, I wouldn't even know to ask. Hey, I'm gonna start a write-in campaign for them to get Sgt. Frog. It worked with Gurren Lagann.

Some of the videos just aren't available anyplace else. Hey, if YouTube said that I had to pay $20 a month (NetFlix's charge) to use their service so they could take care of all the licensing fees, I'd do it.

I like this one better. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUdkUMv6ico

Al, I see you are a ventriloquist. Do you know Ray Guyll, ventriloquist and saxophonist Extrodinaire? Suzy does a lot of custom work for his world-famous dummies including wig works, suits, and straw hats. And we both take lessons from him, her on clarinet and on sax.

Last edited:
Al, I see you are a ventriloquist. Do you know Ray Guyll, ventriloquist and saxophonist Extrodinaire? Suzy does a lot of custom work for his world-famous dummies including wig works, suits, and straw hats. And we both take lessons from him, her on clarinet and on sax.

I know Ray very well. We are colleagues and friends. We both make, repair, and restore ventriloquist figures.

Ray is the acknowledged master of that craft throughout the industry. His work is legendary. He invented a formula that allows one to apply acrylic paint over oils, which is usually considered impossible. I tested it for him and used it on a restoration project.

When I took up saxophone several years ago, Ray gave me virtual lessons. That is, he gave advice based on our email exchanges and in-person discussions during a ventriloquist convention. It was on his recommendation that I bought a ref 54 tenor. I have never, however, heard him play. I gave him a copy of my CD, so he knows my work.

I haven't seen Ray for almost two years. We are about as far apart geographically as you can get. Please tell him I said hello.

Small world. (But I wouldn't want to paint it.)

Back
Top Bottom