Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

After reading this and getting some advice from Pete in another thread to look into Couesnons , I took the plunge and bought a Couesnon from the "pig in a poke" on line store. I want something to learn to play on that I can be proud of. I truly belive that if I have an instrument that I really like,it will induce me to practice more. I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of this guy. It is truly going to be a pig in a poke too. The photos in the posting were not very clear and I couldn't see much of the markings, so I guess that I'll just have to wait and............................................................. This is just too much for me to believe. As I was writing this last line, my wife came in form the front porch and said, "You have a package here. Didn't you hear the doorbell? It is my Couesnon! It is a monopole, or at least I can barely make out that word on the tiny, tiny, tiny writing. The bell and barrel appear to be plastic or hard rubber, and the barrel is lined with a metal sleeve. The two body sections are wood. The posting said that they may be rosewood, but I don't know enough about instrument woods to tell what kind it is. No chips or cracks. All the keys work. The pads and corks are history, and there is no mouthpiece. I paid $75.00 for it including the shipping. I have been buying some cheapo clarinnets and tinkering with them, but I'm not going to try that with this one.. I get a special rate form a woodwind tech friend that will repad it, recork it, polish up the keywork and give it an oil bath for $95.00. So, for well under $200. This is what I got. For a newbie I think that I did all right, what do you think?

Thanks

I acquired a Couesnon "SA" clarinet a few years ago at a pawn shop and had it restored. I know that figuring out the history of these instruments is difficult due to the fire that wiped out the company records in 1969, but what seems odd about mine is that unlike other "SA" models I've read about mine appears to have a serial number: it's either 999 or (I kid you not) 666 depending on which way you read it. If you read it in the same orientation as the "Made in France" mark it's 666.

This clarinet has nickel keys which look smoothly made and operate well. (I'm kind of pre-beginner as a player - so I can't testify to the sound quality. I would sound wretched on a concert soloist's instrument)

I have two mouthpieces that happened to come with it: a Premiere by Hite and a Buffet Crampon C, neither of which match the interior size of the
    Couesnon, being of substantially larger bore. Does anyone know where I find a mouthpiece that would match the smaller bore? Does it matter? (I'm embarrassed to admit, I don't know)

Would be Player

Thanks

> unlike other "SA" models
    "SA" is French for something like, "Société Anonyme." It's the French equivalent for "Incorporated."

> a Premiere by Hite and a Buffet Crampon C, neither of which match the interior size of the Couesnon, being of substantially larger bore
    Pics might help. I'm not sure if you're saying that the mouthpiece's ring of cork will physically not fit in the barrel joint or if you're saying that you want a mouthpiece that better suits the horn.

> After reading this and getting some advice from Pete in another thread to look into Couesnons , I took the plunge and bought a Couesnon from the "pig in a poke" on line store.
    wanabe, I think that a good clarinet for $200 isn't bad at all, especially because it could be a very good clarinet. I wasn't aware of Couesnons with hard rubber barrel and bell, but I have heard of that configuration with other horns.

Yes, I'm the Artist Formerly Known as Saxpics.

Check out my photoblog! Updated on September 7, 2014: Yanagisawa (a work in progress).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information