Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SOTSDO View Post
    When I play alongside student performers, I try to urge them to play out (the biggest problem) and to hit as many of the notes as they can. Playing through performance anxiety is something that will come in time; practice makes perfect (or nearly so).
    If I ever get to have the chance of being musical director for a high school or college, I will always promote to the musicians the idea of not only blending in to sound as one, but to play out if 1) i ask them to or 2) the music says so. Even if they aren't seen, they're at least heard; I'll have some more power and control with the show, too. Another thing that appalled me was that our conductor for the same musical told the keyboard 3 player that if something was too hard she didn't have to play it. It goes back to playing out.

Thanks

My pit setup for 9 to 5. I am on Reed 2 for this production (flute/clarinet/bass clarinet/tenor/bari). The book is clarinet/tenor/bari heavy and quite light on the flute/bass clarinet. I am covering the flute and bass clarinet parts on my clarinet (which is almost visible in the picture). I've also learned that sometimes covering bass clarinet on a soprano clarinet is a big no-no, but it is too far into rehearsals to change now. But next time I will (hopefully) use a bass clarinet for pit when a woodwind part calls for one.
    IMG_20130628_163129.jpg

Thanks

Here's my pit setup for Anything Goes. This is the Tony-winning Roundabout Theatre production which is on tour at the moment. Toronto has the show for a month (we close Aug. 18th.)

L-R: Linton English Horn, Renard 330 oboe, Jupiter Parisienne Clarinet, Jupiter Artist Tenor.

I'm using Stuart Dunkel EH reeds, my own oboe reeds, Walter Grabner K13* m/p w/Vandoren V12 #3.5 reeds, Vandoren V16 T7 m/p w/#3 V16 reeds.

Untitled by Merlin Williams, on Flickr

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks

I was on reed book 4 and still got to play the sop sax solo, it was so nice.

Thanks

Reed 5 book on the Family Guy Live show in Toronto:

Flute/clarinet/bassoon/baritone sax.

Here's the entire section:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    Reed 5 book on the Family Guy Live show in Toronto:

Flute/clarinet/bassoon/baritone sax.

Here's the entire section:

Gold and shiny saxes galore. Glistening in the light. I also just noticed that the woodwind setup is setup like a jazz band. Well, sort of. And where was the orchestra?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snakeman5001 View Post
    Gold and shiny saxes galore. Glistening in the light. I also just noticed that the woodwind setup is setup like a jazz band. Well, sort of. And where was the orchestra?
    It was a big vee setup. Big band on stage left, expanded rhythm section centre stage, and the strings were stage right.

Thanks

I use the same setup occasionally (when staging room dictates something other than the lopsided rectangular one that is the norm), except I use it to partially escape from the racket that comes out of the brass. That separation and angling make all the difference in the world, and they also focus the attention of the audience on the vocalists, who work (for the most part) out of the center of the "vee'.

Thanks

It was a big vee setup. Big band on stage left, expanded rhythm section centre stage, and the strings were stage right.
    Judging from the microphones in the picture, you guys were backstage. Is that right?

Thanks

Judging from the microphones in the picture, you guys were backstage. Is that right?
    I don't know how you could make that judgement just from seeing the mics. We were onstage.

The theatre seats over 3000. Everything was mic'd.

Thanks

I'm simultaneously surprised & relieved, that you dont (apparently) play the pipes Merlin. meaning theres a chance for me yet, in some production requiring these skills

I;m also noticing a preponderance of Shure SM 57's in your pics...hmm.

Thanks

I don't know how you could make that judgement just from seeing the mics. We were onstage.

The theatre seats over 3000. Everything was mic'd.
    Just judging from all those mics. The only time I've seen mics in pit is when the orchestra is backstage and they're mic'ed so they can be heard.

Thanks

Just judging from all those mics. The only time I've seen mics in pit is when the orchestra is backstage and they're mic'ed so they can be heard.
    Not when I'm the sound man . There are lots of tricks for making a band sound natural in the house. Also, choreographers are crazy. They always want the 'bumps' by cowbell, ratchet, and or woodblocks to be larger than life. There's no greater compliment than to have someone ask why the orchestra was not miked--because it was.

For me, if a single instrument or voice is miked, then everything gets a mic. It's the difference between miked and unmiked sounds that draws attention to the fact that there is sound reinforcement. It's better to have a mic and not use it, than to have the producing director say 'more oboe', and not being able to comply because you didn't mic up the oboe. Saying 'I can't' to a producing director practically guarantees that you won't be called again.
    'This is faster than anyone has been gone before'
    -George Tirebiter

Thanks

Seeing all these awesome setups is making me excited to return to a real city so I can do some doubling again. In a few months will be in Windsor Ontario looking for some pit work and fun times doubling. Craziest list of instruments I ever did was clarinet, flute, piccolo, bass clarinet, bari sax, bassoon & kazoo for a variety show. Man I miss those musicals - they just aren't happening in this small town I'm living in now.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information