Thanks

Question Anyone else get a Susato key retrofit on a tenor recorder?

Hello! Board/wind newbie here.

I've got a Yamaha tenor recorder that I like a lot and that sounds nice, but it IS a bit of a stretch. It's hard for me to judge though, since I don't know how much of the issue is due to the stretch and how much is due to my being unfamiliar with playing ANY wind instrument. I think I could get used to it, but I'm curious about a retrofit that I've learned about by a company called Susato at www.susato.com. They can apparently fit two keys to two problematic holes on a Yamaha (or Aulos) tenor that make it more playable.

I'm wondering if anyone has had this done and what their experience of its has been. Is this a good idea, or do I risk ruining a perfectly nice, pretty-sounding tenor recorder?

Thanks

Hi there FireandAir,

I have the same question you did a couple of years ago! Except, I can't reach the darn holes at all, so will definitely need keys or something. Did you ever have the Susato installed? If so, what's your experience?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by worldstrad View Post
    Hi there FireandAir,

I have the same question you did a couple of years ago! Except, I can't reach the darn holes at all, so will definitely need keys or something. Did you ever have the Susato installed? If so, what's your experience?
    I don't have small hands, but I came into ownership of a Yamaha tenor that is nicked (probably by Lazar's) and has 2 susato keys installed. My opinions are mixed, but that may be because I am not so in love with the tenor at the moment. It certainly relieved right hand first finger stretch, although the G key (left hand third finger) seemed superfluous. There is a bit of additional noise. Extra time spent practicing with the keys might mitigate that, as I likely slap it down harder than necessary. I can post pics later if you'd like, or answer more specific questions.

Also I have a Dolmetsch Nova nick tenor, which is actually too cramped for my right hand (the C/C# keys), although I enjoy how different it is in tone compared to the yamaha.

Thread Information