Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks

The price for such a lovely horn seems much lower than "seemingly" similiar horns. I looked see if the front F or range (left hand palm keys) would justify a lower price. Wonder what's up, it's a gorgeous instrument. Guess there could be a minimum accepted price that we can't see.

Lost somewhere on the 13th floor, in a high rise, on the West Coast of Canada
    Thanks

IIRC, that same horn has been for sale not that long ago. (I remember his ad copy as well.)
    One day the bass saxophone will make a comeback and rule the world.
    Bassic Sax (The Website) The Bassic Sax Blog (The Weblog: part of website, but updated daily) Bassic Sax Pix (Lots and lots of pretty sax pics)

Thanks

The standard "rule-of-thumb" I've come up with for eBay is, "If the horn doesn't have a name on the bell that other folks instantly recognize, it's newer than 1930, and it's an alto, it's not going to be worth more than $500." As with all rules-of-thumb, there are exceptions. (Oh. If it's before 1930ish and it's not gold plated, in perfect shape, and it's an alto, it's probably going to be worth less than $500.)

I'm slowly compiling another post for my "photoblog" regarding professional horns under $1000 -- the $1000 number is picked because I assume any eBay horn needs at least $300 repair and the cheapest Taiwanese horn marketed as "pro" is a $1400 Cannonball -- and I've been somewhat surprised with what I've seen. A couple of surprises have been Yamaha 855 and 875 Custom horns in the $1500 - $1800 range.

Yes, I'm the Artist Formerly Known as Saxpics.

Check out my photoblog! Latest article: October 6, 2013, "The Eye (Brows) Have It."

Thanks

CA Wunderlich CEA.

As mentioned elsewhere, CA Wunderlich probably never made their own saxophones. The engraving on this horn is quite similar to FX Huller horns I've seen, but I really haven't done any research on this one. Just found it while trying to sort through some of my misc bookmarks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Check out my photoblog! Latest article: October 6, 2013, "The Eye (Brows) Have It."

Thanks

HN White King "Artist."

This is one of the rare King horns in gold plate, with additional engraving and additional pearl keytouches, similar to the Conn New Wonder Virtuoso Deluxe finished horns.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to pete For This Useful Post:

saxismyaxe (01-03-2014)

Thanks

Thanks

Ha! I have a Rampone like this! It's not pretty yet, I still have to polish it...
    Ben

Thanks

Send or post pics when you do, please. A review of what the horn's like, too.

Thanks

check out this thread: http://www.woodwindforum.com/forums/showthread.php?5011

In SOTW, there's this thread: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?203249

I must admit, I haven't made much progress with this one, partly due to that Weltklang freebie...
    Ben

11. The Following User Says Thank You to tictactux For This Useful Post:

pete (06-08-2014)

Thanks

Okay, took some pictures. I finally found a way of comparatively easily present an instrument without resorting to all kinds of obtrusive stands and contraptions.
    (if there is interest, I'll elaborate further)
    RCFrontRightSml.jpgRCFrontLeftSml.jpgRCRightSml.jpgRCLeftSml.jpg
    Ben

Thanks

My vote for prettiest horn ATM is this Empor by Franz Köhler. It's currently for sale on eBay.de, and when that vanishes, I wrote about it today on my weblog.

It just had a fresh overhaul at a sax shop in Cologne, and is looking for a new home. Sure it has some worn silver-plate, but hey, don't we all?

Right-Side-Neck-Attached.jpg Low-C-Mechanism.jpg Rolled-Tone-Holes.jpg
    Bassic Sax (The Website) The Bassic Sax Blog (The Weblog: part of website, but updated daily) Bassic Sax Pix (Lots and lots of pretty sax pics)

Thanks

I vote for this from eBay France today. Since it'll be gone soon I'll copy a bit about it:

saxophone Adolphe Sax alto n° 20615 . 50 rue st Georges.
    2.500,00 EUR
    Bon état pour un saxophone de l'inventeur du saxophone.Facteur de la maison militaire de L'Empereur ŕ Paris. Nécessite un nettoyage, et pour ceux qui veulent l'utiliser, une restauration complčte incluant réglage , retamponnage etc. L'instrument est en bon état, le métal est sain.

$_57 (2).JPG$_57 (1).JPG$_57.JPG

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Helen View Post
    My vote for prettiest horn ATM is this Empor by Franz Köhler. It's currently for sale on eBay.de, and when that vanishes, I wrote about it today on my weblog.

It just had a fresh overhaul at a sax shop in Cologne, and is looking for a new home. Sure it has some worn silver-plate, but hey, don't we all?

Right-Side-Neck-Attached.jpg Low-C-Mechanism.jpg Rolled-Tone-Holes.jpg
    I've been waiting for a vintage horn to really grab my eye. This is it. Just a pity it'll be this time next year before I can justify another sax spending spree. I'll go over and read more on your blog (my German is limited to dri beer bitter).

What would you say it's worth?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    I've been waiting for a vintage horn to really grab my eye. This is it. Just a pity it'll be this time next year before I can justify another sax spending spree. I'll go over and read more on your blog (my German is limited to dri beer bitter).

What would you say it's worth?

Ah, no need for German. Whenever I write about a sax, I do the translation for you, but provide the original--in case anyone wants to check my translating nuances.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    my German is limited to dri beer bitter
    Hey, and if you can order beer in Germany, that's really all that matters, right? Just try and drop the "r" at the end of bitte, and you'll fit in just a touch better. Either way though, the waitress will understand what you mean.

As far as what the Franz Köhler horn is worth, I'd would think it's priced pretty well ATM. Don't forget European prices are higher than North American ones.

I just checked in on the auction. With 6 days to go, I'm rather surprised to see that the horn is still available, and that there are no mentions of offers on the sax yet. The tenor does have 16 watchers though, even if you take me out of the mix, and at least 7 others out as just peeping toms , that still potentially leaves 8 serious buyers on the horn. I don't think we'll see it go unsold. Given its condition, I would be surprised if we see it make a return visit on eBay.

One thing that does limit its sale though, is that the seller will only ship to German addresses. Although disappointing to potential foreign buyers, there are enough vintage players in Germany that would appreciate this baby that my above words should be true. But hey, I've been wrong before. eBay is a funny thing. It all depends on who sees the horn, and if the right buyer just happens to see the auction at the right time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalfe View Post
    I vote for this from eBay France today. Since it'll be gone soon I'll copy a bit about it:

saxophone Adolphe Sax alto n° 20615 . 50 rue st Georges.
    2.500,00 EUR
    Bon état pour un saxophone de l'inventeur du saxophone.Facteur de la maison militaire de L'Empereur ŕ Paris. Nécessite un nettoyage, et pour ceux qui veulent l'utiliser, une restauration complčte incluant réglage , retamponnage etc. L'instrument est en bon état, le métal est sain.
    Pete Transliterate: "A good horn from the inventor of the saxophone, himself. The inscription on the horn says that this was made for the Emperor of Paris' military. The horn requires some cleaning. It might be a good candidate for a full restoration or just have it buffed [Pete note: NO]. The instrument is in good mechanical condition and the body looks good, too."

The only bit I worry about is that the seller only has 11 feedback ticks. I could complain, a little, that he's obviously polished the bell a bit. It's only $3400 US, though, and it looks like he ships worldwide ....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Helen View Post
    Hey, and if you can order beer in Germany, that's really all that matters, right? Just try and drop the "r" at the end of bitte, and you'll fit in just a touch better. Either way though, the waitress will understand what you mean.
    Ich entschuldige mich für die schlechte Übersetzung. I must have been thinking of "bitter" beer (a favourite type of mine) and being English by birth, warm bitter is best!

Thanks very much for the translation, and your thoughts on the price. I would be very tempted to make an offer if the tax man wasn't breathing down my neck.

Thanks

Here's something you don't see every day...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SYLVESTER-al...item566791c844

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kymarto View Post
    Here's something you don't see every day...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SYLVESTER-al...item566791c844
    Ah. Nice find, kymarto. A Pierret-built E. O. Sylvester. It's pretty in a different way: keywork.

$_57.JPG

I've seen maybe a half-dozen of these, over the years. I wrote that I think they could have been made for no more than 8 years. Probably only one.

Thanks

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthr...=1#post2273049

Sorry to link over to SOTW, but this Conn bass has to be a contender for the thread category...

Chris

Thanks

I don't mind the link. The only unfortunate thing is you have to register before you can see the pics.

I'm going to steal one of the pics, because the horn's for sale.

What I want to see is a Virtuoso Deluxe finished Conn New Wonder bass.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information