Thanks

Default Saxophobia: Fun with Vintage Horns and Sax Relatives

Always finding interesting stuff when I'm looking for something else.

First, of course Helen's already posted a part of this. I'm just adding some stuff.

==========

There are two different "Saxophobia" "touring" groups:

Rob Verdi, who I've actually met and spent some time with, has a few interesting horns, like a Conn-O-Sax, Grafton Acrylic Alto, slide saxophones, an original Evette-Schaeffer Eb contrabass, etc.

Website (there's a small sized video there, too)
    Check out his YouTube Channel, too. He's got some bigger vids and a concert where a few of his collection are being played.

============

Attilio Berni has had a project with the same name, but he has a LOT more horns.

Website. He has pictures of most of his horns and has a few for sale. He allowed me to have several of his horns on saxpics.com, too.
    DVD website. I believe it's a 2-DVD set. A 12 min sample video is there.
    YouTube Channel. There are several videos there.

Yes, I'm the Artist Formerly Known as Saxpics.

Check out my photoblog! Updated on September 7, 2014: Yanagisawa (a work in progress).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Attilio Berni has had a project with the same name, but he has a LOT more horns.
    Yes, but Rob Verdi has really nice and really rare horns, and he's a world-class saxophone artist. He's also a nice cat.

When I was restoring the slide saxophone Helen found, it had one missing part. Rob sent me several photos of the part (The ring that is the "handle" for the slide) on Rob's identical slide sax. The part was easy to fabricate, and now my horn is complete.
    Check Youtube for my videos of bass sax, contrabass sax, tubax, and soprillo:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/saxtek

Lost somewhere on the 13th floor, in a high rise, on the West Coast of Canada
    Thanks

BTW Randy, just thought I'd mention this since you're downsizing, please send me an email if you ever decide to sell the slide sax. I'd like first crack at it please... Thanks...
    One day the bass saxophone will make a comeback and rule the world.
    Bassic Sax (The Website) The Bassic Sax Blog (The Weblog: part of website, but updated daily) Bassic Sax Pix (Lots and lots of pretty sax pics)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Groovekiller View Post
    Yes, but Rob Verdi has really nice and really rare horns, and he's a world-class saxophone artist. He's also a nice cat.
    +1 on that, definitely. However, IMO, his style of playing the "odder" horns, like the Conn-O-Sax, makes the horns sound like, well, the same sax with different ranges. Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that -- and a lot of players play that way -- but I think you can do more with the tone color. Of course, Mr. V plays a lot (or mostly) jazz. The Conn-O, for instance, is more leaning toward classical. That could make a difference, too.

I think that the visuals go a long way with both of these "Saxophobia" projects. I might have to get Mr. Berni's DVDs.

Yes, I'm the Artist Formerly Known as Saxpics.

Check out my photoblog! Updated on September 7, 2014: Yanagisawa (a work in progress).

Thread Information