SeaWind Music

Thread: Flash Mob: Get your band out there

Thanks

Default Flash Mob: Get your band out there

Having done one of these with the Microsoft Jumpin' Jive Orchestra, I wonder why more bands don't do this. Here is a nice example for your Friday morning consideration. Am I the only one who gets goosebumps when I view this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=sTHXIzHPyqE

Thanks

While I think the flash mob is a kewl idea -- there are quite a few choral ones out there too -- I do worry a bit about legality. You generally need a permit for "large gatherings" or simply "busking." If you do it in a mall or something like that, the building owner could also get annoyed.

It's also probably really hard to conceal a a harp and tympani ....

Yes, I'm the Artist Formerly Known as Saxpics.

Check out my photoblog! Updated on September 7, 2014: Yanagisawa (a work in progress).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    While I think the flash mob is a kewl idea -- there are quite a few choral ones out there too -- I do worry a bit about legality. You generally need a permit for "large gatherings" or simply "busking." If you do it in a mall or something like that, the building owner could also get annoyed.
    Basically such "performances" are covered by the freedom of speech and the freedom of assembly. Every orchestra keeps records of each piece they performed in public so that the owners get their royalties. And in most cases the performances are short enough as not to annoy the owners (who owns the food court in a mall? Who owns a place in a pedestrian zone?) too much.

I think we (otherwise law-abiding-tax-paying citizens) should occasionally use (and maybe stretch a bit) the little elbow room we have left. No harm is done, no traffic stalled, no windows smashed.
    Ben

Thanks

The last time we did it we got paid and coordinated the event with the venue management team.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    It's also probably really hard to conceal a a harp and tympani ....
    I don't think you'd need to worry. Most people just glance, lots of musicians moving instruments, and once the performace starts, it's obvious what's happening as the other performaers rock up....
    Kev

Thanks

BTW, here's one of the choral flash mobs I mentioned. Hallelujah Chorus. Random folks also join in. Hey, I think I remember the bass part!

Yes, I'm the Artist Formerly Known as Saxpics.

Check out my photoblog! Updated on September 7, 2014: Yanagisawa (a work in progress).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalfe View Post
    Having done one of these with the Microsoft Jumpin' Jive Orchestra, I wonder why more bands don't do this. Here is a nice example for your Friday morning consideration. Am I the only one who gets goosebumps when I view this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=sTHXIzHPyqE
    Terrific.... Also nice to see a german orchestra using American/French Trumpets for an American composed Theme.

Thread Information