SeaWind Music
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Flash Mob: Get your band out there

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    4,708
    Thanks
    152
    Thanked 25 Times in 24 Posts

    Default Flash Mob: Get your band out there

    Having done one of these with the Microsoft Jumpin' Jive Orchestra, I wonder why more bands don't do this. Here is a nice example for your Friday morning consideration. Am I the only one who gets goosebumps when I view this?

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=sTHXIzHPyqE

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    Posts
    8,811
    Thanks
    50
    Thanked 102 Times in 86 Posts

    Default

    While I think the flash mob is a kewl idea -- there are quite a few choral ones out there too -- I do worry a bit about legality. You generally need a permit for "large gatherings" or simply "busking." If you do it in a mall or something like that, the building owner could also get annoyed.

    It's also probably really hard to conceal a a harp and tympani ....

    Yes, I'm the Artist Formerly Known as Saxpics.

    Check out my photoblog! Updated on September 7, 2014: Yanagisawa (a work in progress).

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,445
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 16 Times in 14 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    While I think the flash mob is a kewl idea -- there are quite a few choral ones out there too -- I do worry a bit about legality. You generally need a permit for "large gatherings" or simply "busking." If you do it in a mall or something like that, the building owner could also get annoyed.
    Basically such "performances" are covered by the freedom of speech and the freedom of assembly. Every orchestra keeps records of each piece they performed in public so that the owners get their royalties. And in most cases the performances are short enough as not to annoy the owners (who owns the food court in a mall? Who owns a place in a pedestrian zone?) too much.

    I think we (otherwise law-abiding-tax-paying citizens) should occasionally use (and maybe stretch a bit) the little elbow room we have left. No harm is done, no traffic stalled, no windows smashed.
    Ben

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    4,708
    Thanks
    152
    Thanked 25 Times in 24 Posts

    Default

    The last time we did it we got paid and coordinated the event with the venue management team.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Munich, Germany
    Posts
    447
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    It's also probably really hard to conceal a a harp and tympani ....
    I don't think you'd need to worry. Most people just glance, lots of musicians moving instruments, and once the performace starts, it's obvious what's happening as the other performaers rock up....
    Kev

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    Posts
    8,811
    Thanks
    50
    Thanked 102 Times in 86 Posts

    Default

    BTW, here's one of the choral flash mobs I mentioned. Hallelujah Chorus. Random folks also join in. Hey, I think I remember the bass part!

    Yes, I'm the Artist Formerly Known as Saxpics.

    Check out my photoblog! Updated on September 7, 2014: Yanagisawa (a work in progress).

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalfe View Post
    Having done one of these with the Microsoft Jumpin' Jive Orchestra, I wonder why more bands don't do this. Here is a nice example for your Friday morning consideration. Am I the only one who gets goosebumps when I view this?

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=sTHXIzHPyqE
    Terrific.... Also nice to see a german orchestra using American/French Trumpets for an American composed Theme.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Visitors found this page by searching for:

community band Flash mob

SEO Blog

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •