Thanks

Default Suggestions for good recording/mixing software

I am looking for reasonably priced software to record and mix my own recordings. I have recorded with Cool Edit 2000 for years, but unfortunately did not buy the Studio Plug In when I had the chance and so I don't have mixing capability. The maker of Cool Edit, Syntrillium, has since been taken over by Adobe, and the new version of Cool Edit named Adobe Audition is around $350 which is more than I want to spend for the amount of time I would use the program.

I wasn't sure where to post this thread, so if a mod wants to move it to a more appropriate area, that's fine.

Thanks

This'll work in this section. No worries.

How 'bout Garage Band?

Yes, I'm the Artist Formerly Known as Saxpics.

Check out my photoblog! Updated on September 7, 2014: Yanagisawa (a work in progress).

Thanks

It depends on what you want to record... but since you want to stay with a low price I absolutely recommend Reaper. It is not free, however you can download a full version for free for an unlimited amount of time. They just ask you to pay after 60 days (if I remember correct). If you are not a professional or you make less than $20,000 a year by using Reaper, it costs $60. You can continue using it without buying it for as long as you want, but that is illegal... When you buy it you also get a significant amount of free upgrades for new versions. I bought it a few months ago and honestly I prefer it better than Cubase which I was using before.

http://www.reaper.fm/

There website also has the manul and a very helpful forum if you need any help with anything.

Thanks

Thanks Pete and Nitai. I'll give both of those a try.

Thanks

there's also audacity, which is free. Make sure you install Lame at the same time (directions on the audacity installation guide).
    Kev

Thanks

I've used Sound Forge Studio (the cheap version is about $60) from Sony.

I'll second Reaper as a great choice - it's a killer deal.

Right now, I'm trying out Presonus Studio One, since the new USB interface I got came bundled with it.

Thanks

I also use Sound Forge but didn't recommend it because I didn't know there was a "cheap version" for $60.

Whether to recommend Sound Forge or Reaper, it really depends on what you want to do with it. In general, I'd recommend Reaper, no question. There are some specific things I prefer to do with Sound Forge, but you can do them with Reaper too usually, but not really vise versa.

Maybe you can explain a bit more about what you want to do. For example, do you want to record more than one channel at the same time? Do you ever want to record while listening to a playback? Do you want to mix channels? Do you only record and edit one channel? What types of edits do you need to do? etc.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by clarnibass View Post
    Maybe you can explain a bit more about what you want to do. For example, do you want to record more than one channel at the same time? Do you ever want to record while listening to a playback? Do you want to mix channels? Do you only record and edit one channel? What types of edits do you need to do? etc.
    Primarily record while listening in headphones to backing tracks and then mix for balance and possibly effects.

Thanks

Thanks

Got it. Thanks so much. My goal is to record some songs for my grand kids who have never really heard me play. It will give me an incentive to practice and get my "chops" back as well.

Thread Information