Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Jim Schmidt's innovative saxophone design

They look nice but I'd like to hear a good recording of one. Are there any.... something without 100 other guys playing in the background.....?:emoji_relaxed:

Good it may be (and I'm assuming a lot here, but have no reasons to doubt the assertions of the inventor at this remove), but it will be doomed to failure as are all such innovations. For some stupid reason, musicians are hugely resistant of change, and a new "system" saxophone, no matter how good it is, is up against that inertia.

The high price point won't help it too much, either...

Regardless of how great a system it is, I don't think it will catch on until someone great starts making professional recordings with it, and a percentage of the aspiring players say, "Man, I want to sound like that!".

One of the other things is that this system was originally on a C instrument. It's been relatively recent that he's come out with Eb and Bb instruments. I don't know how effective he's been in conveying that.

I'd like to TRY one. They do look kewl.

BTB, remember that he's done the same thing to flutes, too.

It´s a novelty item, at present, and I really doubt it will become any more than that. Not because musicians are simply so conservative per se....
but the necessary investment in terms of time and money would be potentially prohibitive- unless one has an ample amount of both.

It´s a novelty item, at present, and I really doubt it will become any more than that. Not because musicians are simply so conservative per se....
but the necessary investment in terms of time and money would be potentially prohibitive- unless one has an ample amount of both.

It would only take a great current artist, (Joshua Redmond, Chris Potter, etc.,) making a great recording with it, to possibly make that happen. If it proved to be and sound significantly superior, it would become the new Mk6, and there would be enough demand to warrant the time and provide the money.

Last edited:
Ummm. I dunno. Candy Dulfer has played that Inderbinen quite a bit and you don't see hordes of folks rushing out to buy those, even though they're supposed to be "sublime" horns.

Additionally, there are a lot of horns that are arguably superior to the Mark VI, from Selmer's own later products to that self-same Inderbinen -- sometimes considerably cheaper, too -- and no one has yet become "the new Mark VI".

Ummm. I dunno. Candy Dulfer has played that Inderbinen quite a bit and you don't see hordes of folks rushing out to buy those, even though they're supposed to be "sublime" horns.

Pete, honestly. Do you really think that CD is that great, viewed in the broad (no pun intended) scope of our Jazz heritage? That, her music really compares artistically to that of the Jazz Greats of history, and our current top artists, like Joshua Redmond or Chris Potter? She can play DS licks ok. I have never heard her play anything like a Charlie Parker blues or Confirmation, but I'm all ears. I think it wold take more than a CD to make a horn the new "thing".

Personally, I don't really care for Chris Potter. I also don't consider him a "great", nor "groundbreaking". However, that's my opinion. Some people might consider Ms. Dulfer a "great", but that's also an opinion: I just consider some of her stuff "listenable" (as I do with Potter). I think it's more a popularity contest. Think of it this way: how many Kenny G-branded sopranos are selling?

Again, I don't think you can have it both ways:

MartinMods said:
It would only take a great current artist, (Joshua Redmond, Chris Potter, etc.,) making a great recording with it, to possibly make that happen.

MartinMods said:
I think it wold take more than a CD to make a horn the new "thing".

Back
Top Bottom