Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

How often do you clean your mouthpiece?

How Often Do You Clean Your Mouthpiece

• Total voters
I hate cleaning anything. If it builds up, the forced air will push it out like a toilet clog.

I just cleaned up a really "white" cruddy looking alto clarinet mpc. I was worried it might attack me before i picked it up. A good 20 min in vinegar and some light brushing and it was nice and clean.

do you ever see what people clean their coffee machines out with .. vinegar .. the cheap mpc cleaner !!

I'll rinse the mouthpiece after each use, if there is somewhere convenient to do it. More thorough cleaning only happens if there is sufficient build up of grot to disgust me!

I'll rinse the mouthpiece after each use, if there is somewhere convenient to do it. More thorough cleaning only happens if there is sufficient build up of grot to disgust me!

Ditto. Since I typically return home after playing out, I routinely rinse out the mpc as soon as I get home, and always do so after playing at home.

I used to just wipe the mpc with a handkerchief after using it but recently I got a mpc swab so I've started to rinse after each use, then use the swab. If I'm going to play soon after eating I'll rinse my mouth. I don't use soap or disinfectant, although I guess it would be a good thing to do every now and then.

When I get a new mouthpiece I soak it in a jar of Hydrogen Peroxide (3%)
for about 10 minuets then i wash it with Hot soapy water and rinse thoroughly if it has mineral deposits I soak it in vinegar and scrub with a tooth brush. After that I only wash when I notice its gunky or starts to smell.
Although I will rinse it out whenever it is convenient. :emoji_relaxed:

When I get a new mouthpiece I soak it in a jar of Hydrogen Peroxide (3%)
for about 10 minuets then i wash it with Hot soapy water and rinse thoroughly if it has mineral deposits I soak it in vinegar and scrub with a tooth brush. After that I only wash when I notice its gunky or starts to smell.
Although I will rinse it out whenever it is convenient. :emoji_relaxed:
Watch out! You can deform a hard rubber mouthpiece with hot water!!!!!

I'm super surprise with how many people apparently clean their mouthpiece after every use. Who has time for that? tee hee hee.

I tend to clean mine only when they get grotty, and usually end up heading for a bathroom at a venue, where water and paper towels have to serve. Stainless steel cleans up pretty well with water alone.

One thing that I will never do again is soak a metal mouthpiece in Lavorus mouthwash. It cleaned things up just fine, but the alcohol in the mouthwash dissolved the cement holding the bite plate to the mouthpiece. The mouthpiece really smelled and tasted good, though.

The clarinet mouthpieces are usually not a problem, as they don't get as much use anymore.

As a bonus, it will get greenish with a sulphury stink. Hot water and hard rubber definitely don't get along well.
There is hot and then there is HOT!! You can substitute warm if it makes you feel better. I don't use water hotter than I can stand to put my hands in.
Never hurt one yet.:wink:
Mark

"Yet" being the operative word here. I have had hard rubber pieces go green on me in cold water with a bit of dish soap. If you are unfamiliar with an old piece use cold water and a dab of toothpaste with a medium brush.

Back
Top Bottom