Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Equipment List

Well?

• Total voters

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
First, if you haven't seen your new User Profile page (like mine: http://www.woodwindforum.com/forums/member.php?u=140) you should (click on the "User CP" link and then click on "Your Profile").

Gandalfe wants to have a specific place to post all his equipment so he doesn't have to put it in his signature line. However, when I coded a "Equipment List" box for SOTW many moons ago, no one used it.

So, let's poll OUR membership (and, Jim, even though you can skew the poll, remember that I can still see the log file).

DON'T VOTE IF YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT THIS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gandalfe wants to have a specific place to post all his equipment so he doesn't have to put it in his signature line. However, when I coded a "Equipment List" box for SOTW many moons ago, no one used it.
Blame it to bad marketing. ;-)

Side question - is an equipment list a vanity thing ("my toneholes are bigger than yours") or covert endorsement or just a handle to find others who share the same fate?

Well, I actually did "market" it relatively well. At least I thought I did.

Regarding the second part of your post, I have mentioned elsewhere that "advertising" that you have some particular instrument feels, to me, a bit like bragging. I can accept that some people really want to know what I play because they want to be like me, but I have had some very specific set-ups because I played very specific things and without that context, a list of my equipment doesn't help anyone.

For instance, let's try this:

I owned a YBS-52.
Q. Why not the YBS-62?
Price/performance wasn't worth it. However, the 62 is definitely a better horn -- just, in my opinion, not $2000 better.
Q. Why not the Yanagisawa?
It wasn't available from the person I bought the YBS-52 from. And it was much more expensive.
Q. Why didn't you go vintage? Aren't you the vintage sax guy?
eBay wasn't around when I got my YBS-52 and I wanted a horn that didn't have any problems.
Q. Well, why not buy vintage and get a good overhaul?
I had a Conn New Wonder tenor restored by a very competent tech and I was terribly unimpressed with the horn after the overhaul. I needed a good horn for college and I didn't want to have to fool with it to make it "right".

Etc.

I'd rather have the conversation than, "Buy a YBS-52 because pete's got it listed in his signature/profile."

Reminds me of this:

Douglas Adams said:
The universe. Population: 0.

It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in.

However, not every one of them is inhabited. Therefore, there must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero.

From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely the products of a deranged imagination.

As I have said before, I'm a huge fan of Douglas Adams.

I vote no. I never list my equipment anywhere.

I didn't vote 'cause I don't officially list my equipment. I have no problem mentioning a certain item (or items) to lend credibility to a post or corroborate an opinion, but making a list, either in a special place or as part of my posting signature, is something I wouldn't do. DAVE

It's still on the amazon list and not at the house. I'll get to it this year.

It was ... challenging ... to find at the public libraries out here. I think I got it from our Scottsdale branch.

Remember: Interlibrary Loan is a wonderful thing, as are university libraries.

I like to keep everything I read. It's something that is annoying my wife more and more everyday. :emoji_smile:

You can say "SOTW". This isn't like another forum that has word substitution :).

We should continue the conversation on books under a different topic, tho.

I do look at people's equipment listed in their sigs, but I wouldn't bother if I had to look elsewhere. Must admit I often think that some people's equipment lists fall into the 'larger toneholes' category, but others can be really helpful.

Back
Top Bottom