Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Public Domain Big Band Charts

Free charts

After clicking the link, I am reminded of the old joke about the New Year's Eve musician, hired at the last minute, who only knew 2 songs:

I Remember Clifford, and the Star Spangled Banner.

In all seriousness, if they're free, check them out. They could be world-class. you have nothing to lose but paper and ink (Recycle).

Unfortunately the site clearly states, "The PDF files contain all 17 parts and a full score, and are free downloads. They are our Copyright and are not to be used for commercial use, sale, resale or trade / transfer to others in any form."

So that doesn't meet the public domain requirement.

What sense does it make for a copyright owner to post his/her material on the Internet for a free download, then place such restrictions on its use? I'll admit I didn't give this a LOT of thought before posting this reply, but I can't imagine why anyone would download a full chart, then not want to use it in precisely the way the restrictions prohibit its use.

Something isn't right here. I'm off to USAF Academy to visit my grandson so I won't reply for several days - if a reply is appropriate. DAVE

What's interesting is if you click on one of the song titles there's this verbage:

"Please feel free to play or perform this chart. No commercial use is permitted without our prior consent, and it is not for resale."

What in the world does that mean? :-(

What sense does it make for a copyright owner to post his/her material on the Internet for a free download, then place such restrictions on its use? I'll admit I didn't give this a LOT of thought before posting this reply, but I can't imagine why anyone would download a full chart, then not want to use it in precisely the way the restrictions prohibit its use.

IANAL - but I understand the restriction as "must not play the piece in a commercial setting" and "must not sell/lend/whatver the PDF file". So an amateur orchestra doing a freebie is certainly allowed to use the score.

And why someone would do that? That's called marketing. :D

So the question is does using this original work for on a CD where the proceeds go to a charity constitute 'commercial use'? I guess I could write them.
That is always an option. "Asking for permission" rarely is declined.

Back
Top Bottom