Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Aulochrome

Heckelphone

Double Reed CE
Staff member
CE/Moderator
For anyone who hasn't seen it, here's a YouTube video of Loe Lovano playing the aulochrome (essentially a double soprano sax, with keywork enabling one to play any combination of two notes). (And another.)

The aulochrome is the invention of Francois Louis, a Belgian instrument maker.
2.jpg

Written with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek: Oh no! What's worse than 1 soprano? Two, being played simultaneously by the same person! Yikes!! :emoji_astonished: Next thing we know, Eppelsheim will top this by putting 3, 4, or 5 soprillos together to form a 1 person choir. Oh where will it end? ;-)

Double straight bass any one?
:???:
anyone?

I'm sorry I missed this post. I got a chance to play the Aulochrome and talk at length with Francois Louis recently during a clinic at the University of Miami.

Both sides of the double soprano Aulochrome play very well. More importantly, the mechanism is ingenious and brilliantly executed. It is actually possible, with practice, to play any note on either side of the instrument with the same or any different note on the other side.

Of course, this enables the player to ply two parts simultaneously. However, after talking to the inventor, I believe his primary intention was to create an instrument capable of creating sum and difference tones, meaning that the range of the instrument is theoretically increased beyond the capabilities of either side of the horn.

I tried it and I could hear the extra high and low notes created by combining the two parts of the Aulochrome. I am still trying to perfect one note at a time, though, so I will leave it to guys like Joe Lovano to create music with these new sounds.

Problem: As I understand it, there is only one copy of the original Aulochrome with the exceedingly complicated mechanism perfected by Francois Louis, and the ownership of that instrument is in dispute. Even Joe Lovano's horn is different, and if I'm wrong, I stand corrected. But it seems, if you want an Aulochrome, you won't get it.

I really like the first "reviewer's" comment: "I can't wait to play it"

It seems to me that a "reviewer" ought to have played an instrument before issuing a glowing endorsement...

Well, a reviewer can comment on the tone, even if it's someone else's :).

Speaking of that, I do understand Groove's comment about the tone from a music theory point of view, i.e. reinforcing the harmonics to make it sound like you're playing a chord or to make it sound like you're playing a bit higher or lower than the instrument's reach really is, but ... some of the noodling I heard from Joe Lovano in the first video sounds more like two saxophones playing out of tune. The extreme lower end of the range sounds very unstable and warble-y.

Personally, I think it'd be more fun to have two soprano players playing on the stage. Hey, soprano players could use the work :p.

Possibly, after Mr. Lovano or another musician has a while playing with it, there will be some changes made to the overall design of the horn; maybe some different ventings to improve the tone and less complex fingerings. Also, I wonder about the mouthpieces, too: can you make one big mouthpiece, even a double-chambered one?

For anyone who hasn't seen it, here's a YouTube video of Loe Lovano playing the aulochrome (essentially a double soprano sax, with keywork enabling one to play any combination of two notes). (And another.)

The aulochrome is the invention of Francois Louis, a Belgian instrument maker.
2.jpg
So then here's my question because I'm trying to write for the Aulochrome. (Don't ask why, I'm just clinically insane lol) But can the two pitches played really be from opposite ends of the instrument. Or are there only certain combinations you can make such as a major 3rd, minor 3rd, per 4th, per 5th and so on and so forth. I just wanna know so I'm not writing something that's not possible on the instrument.

Back
Top Bottom