Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Woodwind Forum Calendar Fundraiser ...

I stayed up waaaayyyy too late on making the big calendar ready for publishing right this minute ....

* THE BIG (13.5" x 19") calendar is available at http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fStoreID=1358770 and a online preview is HERE.
* There is a 20% off sale until 11/02/2009: you have to use the promo code "FALLBACK" at checkout (minus the quotes)

(I really want to wait on the small calendar until I get the second round of proofs.)

=============

CALENDAR ARTISTS ONLY: if your pic was included in the calendar, I do have $4 off discounts (yes, I can use the coupon codes, too). I'll send you all info sometime tomorrow, but don't order through Lulu if you want that $4 discount!

No problems with that, Gandalfe!

I got a really nice pic from AH Visser -- he's contributed several pics that have ended up in my calendars -- and it was of at least a dozen Buescher saxophones. Unfortunately, I couldn't resize it well enough to put it in the calendar, but it'll be in the book. If you think you could do a "Conn Family Photo", even if I have to break it up into two months, that might be fun.

Amusingly, I tried to order a couple calendars for various calendar artists and it looks like the 20% off has been suspended because I've had too many orders from folks in the last day and 1/2 -- which is kinda kewl.

My 2008 calendar did hit #1 in its category ("Art") ....

I have a contact at Lulu and I'll be asking to get more coupon codes. Stay tuned.

The small calendar (11"x17") is now posted. In the second round of proofs, there were only two pictures I really needed to fix. The wife said the other ones were "close enough for jazz".

:)

Anyhow, to recap, the prices are:

* For the 11"x17": $17.49
* For the 13.5"x19": $28.49

My profit, split between me and the artists, is still $4. In addition to this, Lulu makes $1 per calendar. Again, if you're in the calendar, e-mail me and I can get you the calendar at a discount. I'm still trying to get more coupon codes, too.

The preview should be up at http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fStoreID=1358770, soon!

I'm going to get one of these ordered up in the next week. I really enjoy the calendar and it's great to see pictures of various interesting horns.

Luvin' my calendars for my son, both instructors, home and work. What a great year! :cool:

So Pete, what kind of calendar are you thinking about doing next year for 2011? Are we talking about maybe moving to a Woodwind, vice Sax calendar; is that still an option? I have the following pictures in the works:
  • 1800's boxwood clarinet (if I can get the barrel finished)
  • 1928 Conn f-mezzo sop sax
  • Leblanc Paris paperclip duo - CAC and CBC
  • Clarinet sop quartet - Eb, C, Bb, and A clarinets (all Leblanc)
  • Buescher albert-keyed, silver clarinet
Let us know what you're thinkin'.

Last edited:
'Scuse me while I whip this out. Or at least while I ramble for a bit.

I've been doing calendar-age since 2006, primarily as fundraisers for my websites, but the first one was a 50/50 fundraiser for my website and SOTW (and the calendar artists got [and still get] a % of the profits, if they desired).

The first calendar was extremely well received: lotsa people contributed pics early and I even had pics that didn't make it into the 2006 calendar that I was able to use for 2007 and later.

It was really difficult to assemble the first calendar, as I'm not exactly a graphic artist and my skillz with GIMP (a Photoshop alternative) are fairly low. However, I was able to get it done and I liked the finished product a lot.

In 2007, Lulu, the company that publishes the calendar, came out with the 13.5" x 19" calendar. While it was more work -- I had to size pictures for two different calendars -- it became my best selling calendar year, it was the best selling calendar in Lulu's "Art" category, and I had even thought about advertising in The Saxophone Journal for 2009 if I could do about double the sales in 2008.

(Advertising in a national magazine is a tad expensive.)

That didn't happen. I sold about 1/2 as many calendars in 2008. For 2009, I sold even fewer. I also had to beg to get people to send me pics and a lot of the picture submissions were after the deadline. (Gandalfe and Ed can confirm this, as I've complained a bit to them.)

I put maybe 100-200 hours into assembling the calendars. In other words, I probably put more hours in assembling the calendar this year than the amount of calendars I sold last year. While I like doing it, I think the stress isn't worth it.

So, for 2011, I'm not going to beg or be stressed that I don't have pictures by the deadline. If I get them, kewl. If not, I just won't do the calendar. I've got a book project and a couple other things that I'm working on with other folks.

To recap,

* Sure, I'll do another calendar or calendars. But y'all need to get me pictures and on time (September 1) or early!
* If I don't have enough pics by deadline (September 1), I won't do either calendar.

BTB, while my release (yes, it's required if you want to be in the calendar) is a little generic, if you want to make sure your pic is ONLY in the WF calendar, just put a note someplace on the release.

Please see the first post in this thread for more details.

Hey pete, did you like pay Wikipedia to allow you to register a domain using their service?
I'm not quite sure what you mean. Are you referring to the fact that my Wiki uses the same software as Wikipedia? That's called "MediaWiki" and it's free. Check out http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki.

My host is, and has been for several years, Mark Bushaw.

Coupon Codes (I've tried to delete all the expired ones):

* BFBOOK1 (2, 3, or 4): Up to 50% off, orders up to $50.
* BFBULK1 (2, 3, or 4): Up to 50% off, orders over $50.

"Limited amount of uses; 260 uses available for EVERYONE that uses Lulu."

==========

* HALF: Buy 1, get 2nd 50% off.
* 1FREE: Buy 4, get 1 free.
* 3FREE: Buy 10, get 3 free.

"Expires December 24th."

==========

* SAX20 (20% off). No expiration date, may only be used on my calendars and orders up to $100.

----------------------------

Holiday order deadlines:

* For the CHEAPEST shipping rate, it's Dec. 8 for the US, Dec. 7 for Canada, the EU and "Oceania", and Nov. 30 for everyone else.
* For the most EXPENSIVE shipping rate, it's Dec. 21 for the US, Dec. 17 for Canada and the EU, Dec. 15 for "Oceania" and Dec. 11 for everyone else.

Full details: http://www.lulu.com/en/help/shipping_faq

Last edited by a moderator:
Calendar goodness:

Lulu.com said:
Through our marketREACH program, we're adding a select number of calendars to the Amazon.com marketplace - and yours is among those selected! That means more exposure for you and more opportunity to sell when calendars sell best.

You don't need to do anything to take advantage of this opportunity. We're already planning to add the following calendar(s) to Amazon.com on December 9, 2009.

It'll just be the big calendar.

Well, I might find out tomorrow that ALL Lulu calendars that sold more than one copy are being sold on Amazon :).

I'm interested, though. I'll try to post the link on the 9th.

Well, me posting stuff was a moderate FAIL. They wouldn't post my changes because I'm not the author -- Lulu is :(

More e-mail exchanges may ensue.

At least I could post some pics!

Back
Top Bottom