Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

WooF Member Recording Thread

Many of you have posted a recording or two here or there. I figured we'd make an official thread for all to hear and comment on. Constructive critiques are welcome. No comment is fine too ;-)

I'll get things starting with clarinet quartet version of "High Society" I just finished. There are two bass clarinet parts and two soprano clarinet parts. I transposed the original Eb sax parts for Bb clarinet from the original arrangement.

Click here to listen
(requires Quicktime)

or

My SoundClick Page

p.s. I hope Al doesn't mind I used his "WooF" name for this forum. I think it fits this place nicely.

Last edited:
Here's a quartet arranged by Jeff (on sop) to get this thread going.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubUp1oKiIdk&feature=channel_page

TJ your link required me to install an update to QuickTime 7 and when I said selected No Thanks it hung the browser instance. Not cool.

Nice arraingement. I think that's my favorite Billy Joel tune. It has a certain special significance between me and my S.O.

I added my stuff to my SoundClick page if you having issues with Quicktime.

TJ: I was able to listen to it.

I was amazed that someone on this forum besides me and Al would even attempt HIGH SOCIETY, a GREAT old tune that almost every trad band that ever played - played, including bands with whom I've played and still do. I do it on soprano - clarinet for me is out of the question.

In your recording, I missed the famous (and almost mandatory) clarinet chorus originally done by legendary New Orleans clarinetist, Alphonce Picou. That tells me that either you are unfamiliar with it OR the person who wrote the music you used didn't know it.

I have many examples of this tune, done by masters of New Orleans jazz (Sidney Bechet, Johnny Dodds, and even old Alphonce himself - albeit he must have been really old when he recorded it for Jelly Roll Morton's famous interviews with Alan Lomax for the Library of Congress) and some current trad jazzers.

I'd be happy to send you a sound file if I had your e-mail address. Send me a PM if interested so you can hear how this tune was really played. Bechet's may be the best of all, but of course in my opinion, he was the best of a great bunch of New Orleans' reed men.

Thanks for the posting. DAVE

TJ: I was able to listen to it.

I was amazed that someone on this forum besides me and Al would even attempt HIGH SOCIETY, a GREAT old tune that almost every trad band that ever played - played, including bands with whom I've played and still do. I do it on soprano - clarinet for me is out of the question.

In your recording, I missed the famous (and almost mandatory) clarinet chorus originally done by legendary New Orleans clarinetist, Alphonce Picou. That tells me that either you are unfamiliar with it OR the person who wrote the music you used didn't know it.

I have many examples of this tune, done by masters of New Orleans jazz (Sidney Bechet, Johnny Dodds, and even old Alphonce himself - albeit he must have been really old when he recorded it for Jelly Roll Morton's famous interviews with Alan Lomax for the Library of Congress) and some current trad jazzers.

I'd be happy to send you a sound file if I had your e-mail address. Send me a PM if interested so you can hear how this tune was really played. Bechet's may be the best of all, but of course in my opinion, he was the best of a great bunch of New Orleans' reed men.

Thanks for the posting. DAVE

Thanks for listening :)

I have very varied and eclectic taste in music Dave. I'll listen and try to play almost anything. I can't say I've heard the Alphonce Picou version you mentioned. Although, I do have the Bechet track in my collection. tjontheroad (at) yahoo (dot) com is my email if you'd like to forward. Thanks in advance.

Really, the only reason I picked this tune was because it was the first sax quartet arrangement I came across that I could transpose for two bass clarinets and two sop clarinets. That's something I wanted to try. And, since I'm fairly new to these instruments, I found the arrangement of reasonable difficulty for me. Also, I sold my soprano sax some time ago out of frustration. I never could get a decent tone out of that thing!

It's a fun tune. I enjoyed working with it. All these recordings I'm doing are a way for me to expand my practice routine.

Funny, that Billy Joel song was what my very old electric piano had as a sample. It was more like a toy than piano, and it had all sorts of weird sounds like ghost, machine gun, waves, and lots of pitch ones too. It played the Billy Joel song and every two bars changed the sound :)

For music, there are links in my signature. The first is the repair website which has no samples.
The second one www.myspace.com/nitailevi has mostly old stuff from uni (first two) or improvisations from older concerts or rehearsals (the last two).
The third www.myspace.com/trekduo is duo of clarinets (me) and saxophones (another guy) of improvised music.
There is also some stuff on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk0AdIZXtqI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Vtv7H38x2s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdJSqpc-CGY

Nitai

I was amazed that someone on this forum besides me and Al would even attempt HIGH SOCIETY, a GREAT old tune...
One of my favorite versions of the Picou solo is on the Crescent City album by Paul Weston. Matty Matlock is the clarinet player.

Al: I am not familiar with the Matty Matlock version, but I do know of him, having many of his recordings in my collection. Truthfully, he was not one of my favorite players - very vanilla in my opinion, but still he was a fine clarinetist - I wish I had his technique.

I tend toward the old-style jazz players. The Picou recording I have is rough, too rough for even my tastes, and I'm betting he was VERY tired when he did that one. I would like to have heard him in his prime. His old clarinet (with one of those funky upturned silver bells) is on display at a New Orleans' museum. DAVE

http://web.me.com/tjontheroad1/tjontheroad1/D_Dolson_-_Si_Tu_Vois_Ma_Mere.html

http://web.me.com/tjontheroad1/tjontheroad1/D_Dolson_-_Perdido_Street_Blues.html

Well, TJ advised me to put these two links into a "text box", so here it is.

One tune is Sidney Bechet's SI TU VOIS MA MERE (IF YOU SEE MY MOTHER), recorded live in Santa Barbara, CA with Ulysses Jasz Band. I used my curved Yanagisawa SC902 with a Super Session J mouthpiece.

The other tune is PERDIDO STREET BLUES. recorded with Montana's Good Tyme Jazz Band in Whitefish, MT several years ago. I used my Buffet RC Prestige clarinet with a Vandoren B45 mouthpiece.

I hope this works. Thanks, TJ. DAVE

Al: I am not familiar with the Matty Matlock version, but I do know of him, having many of his recordings in my collection. Truthfully, he was not one of my favorite players - very vanilla in my opinion, but still he was a fine clarinetist - I wish I had his technique.

I tend toward the old-style jazz players. The Picou recording I have is rough, too rough for even my tastes, and I'm betting he was VERY tired when he did that one. I would like to have heard him in his prime. His old clarinet (with one of those funky upturned silver bells) is on display at a New Orleans' museum. DAVE

Matty was a good small band arranger. The swing band I played in in the 1990s have a lot of his charts in their book.

http://www.billallred.com/

Bill is a big Matty fan, and he bought Matty's clarinet from Matty's son just to own it. (Bill doesn't play clarinet). It needed work, so he sent it to Chuck Hedges, also a great traditional and swing clarinet player who does woodwind repair. After overhauling it, Chuck told Bill flatly that because the clarinet played so well, he would not return the clarinet to Bill to be hung on a wall. He paid Bill what Bill paid for the horn, and now it's Chuck's main instrument.

(That's one for the instrument repair threads.)

My favorite clarinet player of that genre is Edmond Hall (also often spelled Edmund--not sure which is right). I worked with his brother Herb at Ryan's in the 1970s. Herb was no slouch on clarinet either.

Last edited:
http://web.me.com/tjontheroad1/tjontheroad1/D_Dolson_-_Si_Tu_Vois_Ma_Mere.html

http://web.me.com/tjontheroad1/tjontheroad1/D_Dolson_-_Perdido_Street_Blues.html

Well, TJ advised me to put these two links into a "text box", so here it is.

One tune is Sidney Bechet's SI TU VOIS MA MERE (IF YOU SEE MY MOTHER), recorded live in Santa Barbara, CA with Ulysses Jasz Band. I used my curved Yanagisawa SC902 with a Super Session J mouthpiece.

The other tune is PERDIDO STREET BLUES. recorded with Montana's Good Tyme Jazz Band in Whitefish, MT several years ago. I used my Buffet RC Prestige clarinet with a Vandoren B45 mouthpiece.

I hope this works. Thanks, TJ. DAVE

You're welcome :) Good playing like that ^^^ should be heard by the masses.

Al: Nice work - bari, right?

The two links I put up were done by TJ - I'd e-mailed to him two mp3 files and he, in turn, sent back a web-site link with those two clips on them.

I posted them on WooF and when they went up, I listened to both on my iMac from WooF. Worked fine for me.

Maybe it is the same problem that crashed Gandalfe's Internet connection? DAVE

Just curious Al, is that played on your VI?.
Yes, the newer one. Vintage 1974 with a fresh overhaul. RPC 115R and a Alexander DC Superial 2.5.

Listening to it, I hear way too many triplets. I'm trying to wean myself off them. It's like a bad habit. I think the lines could be cleaner without a lot of them.

Last edited:
Al: Nice work - bari, right?
Tenor.

The two links I put up were done by TJ - I'd e-mailed to him two mp3 files and he, in turn, sent back a web-site link with those two clips on them.

I posted them on WooF and when they went up, I listened to both on my iMac from WooF. Worked fine for me.

Maybe it is the same problem that crashed Gandalfe's Internet connection? DAVE
I think it has something to do with Quicktime. I won't install that insidious software on my computer.

Back
Top Bottom