Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

New Otto Link "vintage" hard rubber mouthpiece

I gotta agree here with Ed.

We just got in our first of the Metal Vintage models (have the hard rubber on order now!). They are absolutely fantastic. These are not just a refaced modern link. These are a completely different blank and are hand done.

We got the metal 7 as our test piece. The craftsmanship is outstanding and frankly, the thing plays like some of the best Vintage Links (real vintage) that we have. We really gave it a test against a good Florida metal 7 and honestly, the new one won out in my opinion. Bigger, richer & broader tone while maintaining excellent response.

I put pictures of the metal one up here: http://www.kesslermusic.com/html/sax/VintageLinks.htm

We're looking forward to testing the hard rubber ones!

Dave Kessler
Kessler & Sons Music

What about the bore of the shank being smaller than standard? Any truth in that?

What about the bore of the shank being smaller than standard? Any truth in that?

Sorry, not getting email updates on this thread.

Yes, the shank on the metal ones specifically are on the small side.

Buzzing sound on Otto Link Rubber 7* for Tenor

Hi, I am a player for a couple of years, maybe sitting somewhere between beginner/intermediate level. My teacher recommended changing mouthpieces. I adapted well to an Otto Link (8) she had, almost immediately, played for a few weeks, but since have felt it a bit too much work for me, so I chose to try a 7* and went for the Vintage model, because that sounded like it would be more guarantee to play well out of the box, since i was reading lots of people saying that the Otto Links made today (Rubber) may need work before they are good pieces. Unfortunately, no place near me sells these things so trying them means buying them and them having to send it back - I even tried the music school nearby and talking to some horn players I know.

Well, I like the Vintage "feel" in my mouth, except that I am getting a BUZZ sound, almost as though there is metal vibrating somewhere. This is something i didn't get with the Otto link (not vintage) that I was playing before or with another 8* that I tried (also not the "vintage" model).

My question is: is this buzzing (metalic) sound "the sound" of the vintage series for the tenor, or is it a fault in my mouthpiece or my embouchure needing to adapt/ or my saliva/ or my horn just having a loose screw?

Nothing has changed except mouthpiece - so before I send this back, I would like to know your opinion - it would make a huge difference since sending stuff back and waiting to get other ones means a good 2 weeks. So, is the Vintage sound more buzzing, or is something else I can change?

PS: I play a 275 Yamaha Tenor Sax. Use Rovner Light or Dark ligature, and have tried the following reeds: Rico Jazz select 3M, 2H, Vandoren V16 2 1/2. I get the buzzing with all of them so far.

I was thinking of ordering a regular Otto Link 7* and seeing if I don't get the buzzing, then just stick to it. But if you convince me this might just be a "bad mouthpiece" then I might try to replace it with another 7* vintage. I like the sound and projection and find it that it is 'louder' than the Otto Link Rubber (not vintage model).

You help is much appreciated, specially since I can't just turn up to a shop and try loads of mouthpieces while investing in one is not the cheapest thing either.

thank you!

Last edited:
Hi, I am a player for a couple of years, maybe sitting somewhere between beginner/intermediate level. My teacher recommended changing mouthpieces. I adapted well to an Otto Link (8) she had, almost immediately, played for a few weeks, but since have felt it a bit too much work for me, so I chose to try a 7* and went for the Vintage model, because that sounded like it would be more guarantee to play well out of the box, since i was reading lots of people saying that the Otto Links made today (Rubber) may need work before they are good pieces. Unfortunately, no place near me sells these things so trying them means buying them and them having to send it back - I even tried the music school nearby and talking to some horn players I know.

Well, I like the Vintage "feel" in my mouth, except that I am getting a BUZZ sound, almost as though there is metal vibrating somewhere. This is something i didn't get with the Otto link (not vintage) that I was playing before or with another 8* that I tried (also not the "vintage" model).

My question is: is this buzzing (metalic) sound "the sound" of the vintage series for the tenor, or is it a fault in my mouthpiece or my embouchure needing to adapt/ or my saliva/ or my horn just having a loose screw?

Nothing has changed except mouthpiece - so before I send this back, I would like to know your opinion - it would make a huge difference since sending stuff back and waiting to get other ones means a good 2 weeks. So, is the Vintage sound more buzzing, or is something else I can change?

PS: I play a 275 Yamaha Tenor Sax. Use Rovner Light or Dark ligature, and have tried the following reeds: Rico Jazz select 3M, 2H, Vandoren V16 2 1/2. I get the buzzing with all of them so far.

I was thinking of ordering a regular Otto Link 7* and seeing if I don't get the buzzing, then just stick to it. But if you convince me this might just be a "bad mouthpiece" then I might try to replace it with another 7* vintage. I like the sound and projection and find it that it is 'louder' than the Otto Link Rubber (not vintage model).

You help is much appreciated, specially since I can't just turn up to a shop and try loads of mouthpieces while investing in one is not the cheapest thing either.

thank you!

Maybe it's a difference in what you perceive through your teeth/bone. Try using a mouthpiece patch.

Wild speculation: Your tenor's neck has a somewhat prominent ferrule at its end which happens to collide with the interior walls of your (maybe somewhat narrow) new mouthpiece, creating the aforementioned buzz while playing.
Put some paper around the neck cork before attaching the mouthpiece and see if the buzz persists. (tuning may be off due to the different position on the neck, it's just for testing)

thanks to both replies. i will try recording tomorrow as well as using the paper on the neck cork as suggested.

i have played the mouthpiece for 2 days now - today i had less buzzing with a 3M rico select reed. then i moved to the vandoren V16 2 1/2, and was able to control the buzzing, which is worst when i play 'louder', specially in the lower registers and/or without the octave key.

PS: my mouthpiece is narrow and goes about 1/2 way into the cork (actually maybe less), compared to the previous ones that 'covered' 3/4 to 4/5 of the cork, so the paper thing might be informative, which i will test and post on. just so i know, if the paper fixes the buzzing, is there something i can do to the cork to get it to work?

One of my frustrations with Links (aside from not liking how I sound on them) is the very small shank size. Any time I wanted to try one, I either had to crush my cork, or settle for perching it on the end of the neck and playing extremely flat. Of course, after you crush your cork, your regular piece doesn't fit, and it's off to the shop for a new cork. This is probably exacerbated for me since I play Ponzols, which tend to run large in the shank.

If you are committed to the Link, you may need to gently sand your cork down and grease it like mad to get the Link to the "sweet spot". That can make a big difference in your sound (or at least your perception of it). I would make sure you are using new reeds, not ones that you have already played on your old piece. A reed can "conform" to a mouthpiece, and when tried on another, it just won't seal properly.

heya. sorry for not posting reply earlier. i recorded myself with low and high notes - i can't seem to manage to post them, but let me tell u my verdict: i ordered another Otto Link Vintage 7* on the post and a 'regular' Tone Edge 7*. I figured this way if there was something going on with my first vintage piece I would hopefully discover it PLUS I could then test it against the sound of the tone edge with the same tip opening.

1st: the same thing was happening with the second vintage piece, so I feel like the buzz is part of the vintage sound - as you have explained.
2nd: i felt much more comfortable and flexible with the tone edge (not vintage) rubber piece - not sure why, but it felt much easier to play - ANYONE knows of any difference in tip openings for them since both the vintage and the tone edge are 7* - somehow the tone edge was just much easier and i admit it almost felt too easy, as though i need a size 8. but i guess for whatever it is worth, i will stick to the regular tone edge 7* - i am trying to work on getting to the altissimo registrar and i can't afford too much hard work anyways (i hear that can be bad for your embouchure muscles)- i have read that the modern tone edges are NOT wonderful out of the box - up in Glasgow, a 're-facing job' is virtually impossible, so i am gonna have to stick to it.

So, if at all possible, could you share whether you have had a similar experience to playing the tone edge vs the vintage? and whether the tip openings are more incorrect in either piece or are they both set to .105?

cheers for your help - in the end the sound thing is subjective. i hope this otto piece won't get in the way and for now that will have to do...until i go somewhere with a proper sax shop that has loads of pieces to try...

thanks to both replies. i will try recording tomorrow as well as using the paper on the neck cork as suggested.

i have played the mouthpiece for 2 days now - today i had less buzzing with a 3M rico select reed. then i moved to the vandoren V16 2 1/2, and was able to control the buzzing, which is worst when i play 'louder', specially in the lower registers and/or without the octave key.

PS: my mouthpiece is narrow and goes about 1/2 way into the cork (actually maybe less), compared to the previous ones that 'covered' 3/4 to 4/5 of the cork, so the paper thing might be informative, which i will test and post on. just so i know, if the paper fixes the buzzing, is there something i can do to the cork to get it to work?

Back
Top Bottom