Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Case For 1930 Selmer Alto

Helen

Content Expert Saxophones
Staff member
Administrator
A friend of mine has a 1930 Selmer Super Sax, or Cigar Cutter. The original case is falling apart, and he is looking for a replacement.

Does anyone here have any recommendations of what would make a good replacement case for this horn, with its left-sided bell keys? The case needs to have room for the mouthpiece, reeds, & neckstrap, so an accessory compartment is necessary.

I'll be interested to hear something in this space too. I have some very nice vintage instruments in worn cases. I've toyed with the idea of taking the cases to a local upholster and seeing if they can re-line the inside and rework the outside.

Check with your local repairman. There are rectangular, wooden cases available from Allied Supply or DEG. Allied has a budget model and a deluxe model. The DEG is similar to the Allied budget model. All of them work with left hand bell keys, and even the cheap ones are OK.

Wood construction, fake leather covering, metal corners, fuzzy black lining.

@Kim - I use the contoured pro-tec for my vintage Buescher alto. Works very well.

@Jim - I have tried to save a couple of old cases. Took everything out and relined. The smell of old cases tend to get into the wood as well and I couldn't find a good way to remove the last remnants of old case stink. You could try painting the wood interior in order to seal it which could keep any stink in the wood out of the case. That's the only thing I never tried.

I keep my 'Cutter in a Reunion Blues gig-bag (I know, I know . . .). But I have also carried it in a leather Pro-Tek contoured alto case that offered a lot more protection and the horn fit nicely in it. DAVE

@Kim - I use the contoured pro-tec for my vintage Buescher alto. Works very well.

Who's Kim? I asked the question. :) Do you have me mixed up with the other female Canadian Mod from that "other" forum. ;-)

Who's Kim? I asked the question. :) Do you have me mixed up with the other female Canadian Mod from that "other" forum. ;-)

Brain fart :oops: . All you Canadians look the same to me. :emoji_smile:

If your friend is willing to spend in the $300 range, the Hiscox is worth a look. They are left side bell key friendly, have a storage compartment, and are light and protective.

That's pretty. I should take a photo of my Buescher 140 that Jason engraved.

Brain fart :oops: . All you Canadians look the same to me. :emoji_smile:

:p ... And to quote Forrest Gump: "And that's all I have to say about that"... ;-)

Now back to the topic at hand... Thanks everyone for the input. I'll mention these options to Steve when I see him tomorrow. The saxophone is a family heirloom. It belonged to his Grandfather, so it's been in the family since new.

A friend of mine has a 1930 Selmer Super Sax, or Cigar Cutter. The original case is falling apart, and he is looking for a replacement.

Does anyone here have any recommendations of what would make a good replacement case for this horn, with its left-sided bell keys? The case needs to have room for the mouthpiece, reeds, & neckstrap, so an accessory compartment is necessary.

I use Protec Countoured cases for my Selmer 1929 and 1934 altos.

I use Protec Countoured cases for my Selmer 1929 and 1934 altos.

Thanks. Good to know. My friend ended up getting just one of those square cases from Allied. But I know other players who own these horns. I'm always being asked about cases. Nice info to have in my "tool kit" of knowledge.

A few customers who have had me do a complete restoration on their Mark VI's have replaced their old case with a new Cannonball Vintage Reborn case that is a replica of the early tan colored Selmer cases. The suggested retail is $195 for the alto case and they can be ordered through any Cannonball dealer.

A few customers who have had me do a complete restoration on their Mark VI's have replaced their old case with a new Cannonball Vintage Reborn case that is a replica of the early tan colored Selmer cases. The suggested retail is $195 for the alto case and they can be ordered through any Cannonball dealer.
Pics or links to pics?

Here you go.

Cannonballvintagealtowithcase.jpg

Back
Top Bottom