Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

New Professional Sax Pricing Info

However, if you're talking vintage, it's insanely problematic to create a good price guide. Examples:

Selmers: You'd need approximate values for each of the Super Series horns, the Balanced Action, Super (Balanced) Action, Mark VI, Mark VII and the entire S80 Serie and Reference horns. I'm excepting the Modele 2x Series, of course. Most of those models were available in sopranino, soprano, curved soprano (Super Series), C melody (Super Series), alto, low A alto, tenor, bari, low A bari and bass. Oh, call it 130 prices.

Keilwerth: Well, it depends on what you'd like. If I arbitrarily said that "Keilwerths made after 1950 are great horns" someone would complain that earlier horns were also good.

Etc.

While I might eventually try to create that kind of matrix, I think I'd lose interest relatively quickly and I'd get lots of people complaining that horn X should be valued more than what I say ....

It is easier for me to say that $horn is a good deal or not, based on the condition, make, model and year of the horn.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am working on the Big Spreadsheet o' New Saxophone prices. I've only finished a few, so far:

* Antigua Winds
* Borgani
* Buffet
* Cannonball
* Eppelsheim
* Inderbinen

Yes, I'm including all pitches of each pro horn $company sells. I think I'll do P. Mauriat last ....

Almost finished. I included a couple other dealers that aren't above.

If you're wondering, the most expensive production saxophone is the Orsi SA-121 C Contrabass. If I could find someone that sells it. The Orsi SA-120 Eb Contrabass is $84,000. Seriously. That's about 3.5 Eppelsheim contras or 5.5 J'Elle Stanier compact contras.

Here we be, in PDF-formatage. It's a big chart. I might make it into a webpage, if there's enough interest.

(Attachment now added to the first post in this thread.)

This has been an amazing amount of work. I guess now that you've finished skool, you've gotz lotz of free time on your handz. :-D

This is a handy reference Pete. You should put in up on thesax.info site as a reference tool.

BTW, you've got 2 listing for the Selmer Series II bari: One for just under 7K, the other for just under 20K. The listing just below it, for the Bb bass has been left blank. I think you meant the Series II and the $19,879 for that line, along with the instrument.pro store (since that's where I found it for that price).

What's missing for the baris if the Series III. You can get it at Kessler Music for $9,549.00.

Last edited:
If you're wondering, the most expensive production saxophone is the Orsi SA-121 C Contrabass. If I could find someone that sells it. The Orsi SA-120 Eb Contrabass is $84,000. Seriously. That's about 3.5 Eppelsheim contras or 5.5 J'Elle Stanier compact contras.

So does that mean it's 3.5 times better than the Eppi? Or 5.5 times better than the J'Elle Stanier? :emoji_rage: Oh, I don't think so...

I remember years ago, Orsi had a mortgage calculator for their contras. (Yes they actually called it a mortgage calculator). At the time, the price of the saxes was just under $40,000. That would have been around 2000 or 2001, just around the time I got my bass.

I'd be curious how they could justify the enormous price jump in < 10 years. I don't recall other pro horns going up 100% in cost over the same time frame. Interesting... Me thinks they won't be selling too many of these babies... But perhaps that's the point of the price :?:

The mortgage calculator was on the LA Sax website: LA Sax distributed the horns -- and the contra was much cheaper then, too.

I definitely don't think that the Orsi would be better than the Eppelsheim, based on the reports I've read, it's just the Orsi costs as much as 3 and 1/2 Eppelsheim contras, based on the prices I've got :).

I'll check the Selmer prices. There were a lot of 'em and I could have screwed up something.

The mortgage calculator was on the LA Sax website: LA Sax distributed the horns -- and the contra was much cheaper then, too.

Right. I remember now. It was on the LA Sax site. They were also the ones that sold those really neat bass sax stands (made by Orsi) that had adjustable heights like you would find in an office chair. I don't remember the cost of the stand exactly, but remember thinking you could buy a pro model alto (French made at the time) for the cost of one of them. Paul Coats and I talked about them together, and decided that there had to be a more cost effective way to hold up your bass sax. We all know how that turned out, don't we... ;-)

Orsi still does sell those stands, by the way: SA-10 and SA-101. If you're interested :).

One of the reasons why I compiled this price list was to see some of the more interesting saxophones and their prices. Contras and basses are generally atop that list, but it's also nice to see a couple companies making a Bb sopranissimo.

... By the way, note that I called the Selmers "Series II" and "Series III". I'm very well aware that the engraving is actually "Serie". Selmer.fr is now using "Series" in their instrument descriptions.

The listings for Phil Barone saxes reflect only the ones from http://www.baroneprosaxophones.com (now a broken link without the # suffixes) and http://www.macsax.com.

Phil has a line of saxes listed on http://www.philbarone.com that have different prices. I think he disassociated himself from the other company.
I'll include that in a bit.

Three websites, three sets of horns. No, no confusion, there ....

EDIT: btb, I went to http://www.philbarone.com/sax/alto/vintagealto.html and the webpage is titled "Mac 8".

Barone quote:

"ARE ALL TAIWANESE SAXOPHONES EQUAL?
Yes, pretty much with some small exceptions."

Hmmm.

In any event, I've added the horns from philbarone.com and will post the list in a moment.

Because I'm finally compiling another version of this, I made this current list (remember: 2009) into a webpage that has sortable columns. You just have to click on one of the items in the title bar (make, pitch, model, etc.).

... And here's a mock-up, with real numbers and links. I threw some nice code at it and normalized the heights and widths. Again, columns are sortable and you can scroll the page up and down (the table is in a 1920x1080 window).

EDIT: Added Rampone and Cazzani to the mock-up. Comment: R&C still makes the R1 model, but I can't find any dealers that have them. If you can, drop me a line.

Back
Top Bottom