Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Lanolin on reeds

jbtsax

Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member
A well respected professional woodwind player and teacher in my area is now using pure clinical grade lanolin to seal the exposed surfaces of his single and double reeds. He soaks the broken in reed to the optimum moisture level, seals the fibers by rubbing in the lanolin, and then puts the reed in a humidity controlled container. When he takes the reed out at any given time, it is ready to play instantly.

He claims that by eliminating the constant drying out and re-soaking of the reeds that they play more consistently and last longer. Has anyone else ever heard of this technique? I can't wait to try it myself.

John

A well respected professional woodwind player and teacher in my area is now using pure clinical grade lanolin to seal the exposed surfaces of his single and double reeds. (...) Has anyone else ever heard of this technique? I can't wait to try it myself.
Use cod liver oil instead of lanolin, at least as long as it's winter outside. ;-)

It would effectively repel water which would allow a player to avoid the water logged reed.

Did they recommend a source for lanolin?

Use cod liver oil instead of lanolin, at least as long as it's winter outside. ;-)
You would always have an audience of cats when you practice and perform.

It would effectively repel water which would allow a player to avoid the water logged reed.

Did they recommend a source for lanolin?
I believe he said that he gets that grade of odorless and tasteless lanolin at a pharmacy. I'll check it out.

John

I'm just trying to think of a way to work in the word "sheepish" into a post ....
Actually I was waiting for Tammi to chime in. She's certainly an expert with those wooly creatures.

Another possibility for treating reeds

I recently read about a new "liquid glass" product that deposits a 30-atom thick layer of flexible glass on any surface. I wonder what effect it would have on reeds.

I recently read about a new "liquid glass" product that deposits a 30-atom thick layer of flexible glass on any surface. I wonder what effect it would have on reeds.
That'd be interesting. At first read, I thought that this would be an absolutely terrible idea, but I wonder if it'd be any different than, say, a Rico Plasticover.

Back
Top Bottom