Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Fife before Flute?

Hello. :)

I'm a clarinet player and I want to take up the flute. However, would it be in my best interest to maybe get a cheap fife to develop embochure and see if I really like it before investing in a flute?

I was thinking this one: http://folk-instruments.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-YRF21-Fife?sku=460076

Thanks!

I know flutists who swear by them, just because they're cheap, fit in every backpack and keep their embouchure in shape. Their tone isn't all that bad either. The fingerings are that of a recorder, somehow, but as a clarinet player the change to a real flute's fingerings shouldn't be that hard.

Hey, five bucks ain't all that big an investment, you won't lose much.

Illumination - many thanks for for the link!

As I am constitutionally incapable of resisting temptation, especially at that price, I just ordered one of those Yamaha free-shipping five dollar fifes from Musician's Friend and am already looking forward to hobbling along with it in the next 4th of July parade. (By the way, can anyone recommend a good drummer and/or flag carrier?)

Illumination - many thanks for for the link!

As I am constitutionally incapable of resisting temptation, especially at that price, I just ordered one of those Yamaha free-shipping five dollar fifes from Musician's Friend and am already looking forward to hobbling along with it in the next 4th of July parade. (By the way, can anyone recommend a good drummer and/or flag carrier?)
So I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that finding a flag carrier will be easier than finding a drummer. :cool:

"Who was that piccolo I saw you with last night?"

"That was no piccolo. That was my fife!"
Me likee...

My new Yamaha $5 fife arrived safely via UPS on Wednesday - the 1st. It was carefully packed, came with a 'case' - well a canvas bag really - a fingering chart and, wonder of wonders, it played right out of the bag.

I find myself almost feeling guilty for having taking advantage of Musician's Friend's five buck, no tax, free UPS shipping deal ... (almost, I said :geezer2:).

Alright, I just ordered a pair too.

Well, it arrived today. I really like it so far. It sounds a lot like a recorder (I guess 'fife' is somewhat of a misnomer since it's really just a transverse recorder) but anyway. I'm having a little trouble with the embochure (the internet isn't the best helper for that...) but I think I'll ask a flute player at school on Tuesday.

As a struggling flutist, I found (yes, mine arrived today) that if I pursed my lips with no opening save that made when I blew, the little recorder fife came to life. It does sound like a recorder. Maybe it will sound better as I get better.

Back
Top Bottom