A New Type Of Bass Saxophone Stand

Helen

Content Expert Saxophones
Staff member
Administrator
For the past couple of weeks I have been using a new kind of bass saxophone stand. It was invented by Andreas Kaling. Andreas is a member of the bass saxophone quartet Deep Schrott, from Germany. Andreas designed this stand so that it could be used as a playing stand while sitting or standing. The stand even allows for transverse angles which many bass players find comfortable.

I have written a series of 3 articles about the stand for my blog that you might find interesting. Two of the articles are photo essays, and 1 contains a video of Deep Schrott performing with the stands.

This is a really great new product, and one that bass players might really benefit from. My bass has never felt as natural for me to play, without me having to wear it around my neck or on a harness. It has fundamentally changed the way I interact with my horn. It is really quite amazing.

I like the look of the design. It will hold the horn without any support from the player?

Helen, having followed that post, do we have a price range? Just curious.

Honestly, I can't remember right now. I'd have to check my records. It isn't cheap. Think Saxrax pricing and add a few dollars. The price was in Euros. I'd suggest anyone who is interested contact Andreas directly and ask.

I like the look of the design. It will hold the horn without any support from the player?

Of course it will. It wouldn't be much of a sax stand if it needed a player's support would it? ;-)

I do have a photo in the 2nd article of my bass in the stand all by itself. "Look Ma, no hands!" :emoji_relaxed:

I am the lucky qwner of such a bass sax stand and I found it very practicle, but a little heavy (but stable)

Truth be told, it's hard for any bass sax (or baritone sax, for that matter) stand to be both portable and stable. With stability comes weight, and often stability also mandates size. Either way, it's going to be more of a load.

Long ago and far away, I took the plunge and bought myself a Rock "n' Roller folding cart. The cart allows me to stack horns without stability problems, and they are just big enough for the task without being too big to trundle through kitchen corridors and the like. They have probably saved my back in the process.

The "market" for such stand devices is limited enough to prevent them from being offered, for the most part. And, as many baritone players apparently find it impossible to double on alto and clarinet and flute and bass clarinet, so too are the "multiple" stands for baritone players. (Exception: Hercules now offers one for baritone and alto or tenor, but it still has no spot for a clarinet peg). So (the makers apparently think), why go to the trouble for a market that isn't there?

Use of percussion hardware is a clever way to avoid reinvention of the wheel for the "tripod" portion of the stand. I have used left over percussion stands to replace a number of supports for other purposes, and the rock solid aspect of them all when properly assembled is a joy indeed. But that horn stand manufacturers would use the same techniques and materials in their products.

BTB, pricing goodness would still be appreciated. A quick Google turns up only the WF and your 'site, Helen :D.

My read, of Helen's post, although not explicitly stated, was that she was using a prototype and that the creator wasn't really set up for sales yet.
Possibly, but note that another person in this thread has one.

Hey, whazzup, Helen?

Boutique Bass Saxophone Stands Not Prototypes

My apologies for being a bit absent of late. I've been preoccupied with a number of projects I have on the go. Let's see if I can clear up some of the confusion here...

I'm not sure how we had the breakdown of communications, but these stands are by no means prototypes. I do mention in my blog posts that:

Andreas has sold a number of these stands throughout Europe, and even as far away as the United States.

I am really pleased with my new bass sax stand. If you’re looking for a really versatile stand that will allow you to play your bass either in a sitting or standing position, and even allow you to adjust the angle at which you play, then this might very well be the stand for you....

These stands are not available through stores. They are only available through special order from Andreas. [emphasis added]

I’d also like to go on record and state that I’m not associated with Andreas in any way, and have no financial interests in his business. I receive no remuneration for sales of his stands. I’m only writing about them because I believe in the product, and think that the bass sax playing community could benefit from the knowledge of their existence.

If you would like to know more about these high quality stands, please contact Andreas directly. He would be happy to answer any questions you may have. He’s a very nice guy. I’ve found him to be a real pleasure to deal with throughout this whole exchange.

So as you can see, these stands are not produced by a stand manufacturer, rather they were invented by Andreas, and are created by the metal designer Ferdy Rose together with Andreas. Think of them as "boutique" bass saxophone stands.

As far as price goes, that you should email Andreas directly about and ask him. As I mentioned, they are not cheap, and will run you somewhat more than a Saxrax bass stand. However, it gives you much more flexibility than a Saxrax. Andreas' prices may have fluctuated since he has just found a supplier for a better material for the protective cushioning for the horseshoe support braces.

Also it is worth mentioning that Andreas has been working on a baritone version of this stand. I received an email from him this week informing me that he has it finished now, and that it will be available soon. It will adaptable for both low Bb and A baris.

I'm not normally all excited about stuff like this, but in this case I was won over by the amazing ability it has to adjust to your preferred playing position. It is far more flexible than it appears in my photos. I'm pretty vanilla when it comes to positions, but there are many more options this stand gives you. Again, email Andreas to get the full details.

re: the lack of doubling bari stands. I had two Hercules bari stands - one had the alto/tenor thing, the other was a newer one that had a peg hole in each leg. So I swapped one leg between stands, and ended up with a single stand with both the alto/tenor thing and a peg.

... and a Saxrax bass stand is $239. That's $1.93 trillion in Canadian dollars.

:p

Apparently you're unaware that we've been at or near par for quite some time Pete. Our lowly dollar was actually worth more than the US greenback on a couple of occasions over the past couple of years. Keep up with the times man. Keep up. :p

Now, back to the Saxrax. The $239 price you found is the lowest I'd never seen. Prices have traditionally been $289, and that's what I was referring to. Although I did notice a drop on Paul's site just recently to $259. Perhaps fluctuations in currency allowed him to reduce prices?

I'll ALWAYS have fun with Canadian currency.

:p

The $239 price is just what I found by doing a brief Google. I saw lower prices, but I couldn't exactly recommend some of the dealers.

I am using both the "Andreas Kaling" and the Saxrax, they are quite different things
with the AK you can easily play sitting or standing, but it weight a lot, not to easy to go everywhere

Glad you found it Kev. Yes, all the articles are very much still in my blog. Also, I have a page dedicated to the stand on my website.

FWIW, this is the best bass stand, bar none, that you will ever use. I've tried the SaxRax, and they're nice, but they don't even come close to Andreas' stand.

I just had an interesting email exchange with Andreas about his stands. He is currently selling more baritone than bass versions. Kinda' makes sense when you think about: there are obviously more bari players than there are bass players. That said, I think it caught him a bit off guard, because he designed the bari stand 2nd, and only because he knew a lot of bass players doubled on bari--or bari players doubled on bass.

Back
Top Bottom