Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Another good crop of Selmer "full Boehm" horns on eBay

AUGH. Why the bloody hell isn't that a C horn...
(I am still kicking myself for not having the funds then to buy out this RC Prestige properly serviced and that Backunized Concerto C)

Full Boehm instruments when I managed to try at Musikmesse (An Amati that was) did have its good points. If my heart was more inclined towards owning another Bb... ooo 10S...

I fixed up a Selmer CT A a few months ago. Heavenly player, wish I had one myself.

Funny this topic should come up. I have been wanting to add a CT to my gathering for a couple of years.

Then this pair of R series came up last month and I managed to secure them.

I think, once I have overhauled them, I will see if I can get a decent photo of them with my pair of Selmer metals for the 2012 calendar.

IMG_7437.jpg

Chris

Those old cases...

where the joints are stored made up like that, have always bothered me. Aside from the temptation to not regularly lubricate the joint corks, the occasional shocks that horns in a case are exposed to would be more likely to split a barrel or a bell.

My grandfather's clarinets were cased that way, and despite his meticulous care of them (including a periodic "breaking" of the joints (as we used to say in the oil and gas extraction industry) to lube the corks), both of the bells suffered top to bottom cracks over the years. Particularly bad were those old English "boot" cases, where the parts rattled around within the tubes.

I note with alarm that the A "full Boehm" horns tend to be found in these cases. Both my A and Bb horns were in the "pochette" style cases, with individual joint slots - they date to 1966, purchased new. Selmer was nice enough to rig me up a custom case innards to fit the pair, all at no extra charge, as long as I returned the case for the A horn unused.

Terry,

The A bell was welded to the lower joint when I got them. They had not been played for over a decade. Trying to twist it off was hopeless as I was trying to break the connection over a large surface area. Rocking the joint with traction separated them relatively easily as I guess it concentrates a shearing force to a smaller surface. Whatever the physics behind it - it is the way to go!

While awaiting doing them up, all the joints are well greased, and the "assemble to store" joints are pulled out as far as the case allows. I will look into an aftermarket case that stores completely dissassembled, but I suspect it hard to find one that fits? The Selmer case with my metal pair is away at the moment with Stephen Howard to be photographed for inclusion in his Haynes Manual for Clarinet Maintenance (soon to be available at a good bookstore near you..) but I will see how that fits when I get it back

Don't know about silver plating, at least not in the first iteration of repair.

Chris

I normally use a razor blade between the two joints when they are "welded" together. Just insert it - might need some extra force, roll it around the entire joint, then start wobbling it to create separation then use a larger tool.

The major problem is when the cork basically completely sticks to the socket joint. upon finally getting the two apart usually the cork is all broken up with large pieces stuck to the socket.

load of fun.

Chris, I'm still waiting for you to return my metal Selmers to me ... :p (inside joke)

Ha Steve,

Don't hold your breath! Or you may turn blue - rather than green...:D

One of your fellow countrymen also outbid me on a Leblanc LL Full Boehm A clarinet. A UK friend of mine who is a BH and clarinet knowledgeable person knows him. Come to think of it I haven't chastized her about him outbidding me on the A in a while ... was probably 5+ years ago now on eBay. It sold for like $700 and we were bidding against each other in the final seconds. bummer .. i'm still looking for one.

Congrats! It always comes to he (or she) who waits...

I am very fond of my Bb LL - an 18/7 model

$2,800 for the A FB is a tad hopeful! I paid about $1,500 (under £1,000 GBP) for the pair of CT FBs pictured in my post #5 above - and I thought I didn't want to go any higher with them

It is hard to judge what things like these are worth when there is an ever decreasing amount of money sloshing around in the system.

Chris

FWIW I recently won a Bb LL (17/6) for some $90...
Prices seem to vary considerably.

FWIW I recently won a Bb LL (17/6) for some $90...
Prices seem to vary considerably.

yes but you live in the land where everything is based on the price of fine chocolate. Can you find me a Symphonie RS for $90 ?

yes but you live in the land where everything is based on the price of fine chocolate. Can you find me a Symphonie RS for $90 ?
I happen to live in the land where a 2 bedroom house costs 2 million dollars. (yes, we're still seeking) :-(
But I can send you a fine swiss army knife which not only will scrape your reeds but also disembowel your enemies and shorten the current of your next door nuclear power plant.

..... But I can send you a fine swiss army knife which not only will scrape your reeds but also disembowel your enemies and shorten the current of your next door nuclear power plant.
I'm fine in that area. In 1984 I bought (from a cigar shop in Ann Arbor, MI) a very nice Champion model swiss army knife complete with a leather sheath and a blade sharpener. Still nearly as good as new and looks like new. I use the toothpick probably the most these days !!

sn2.jpg

I happen to live in the land where a 2 bedroom house costs 2 million dollars. (yes, we're still seeking) :-(
That's alot of chocolate !!

Last edited:
ok, I'm happy now ..... Leblanc LL A, early 1960s model (to go with my 1960s Bb) and a super nice double case that holds all the joints separately. Plus, hopefully it's silverplated like my early LL Bb

fyi, the seller thinks the LL is silverplated (like his flute and other woodwinds). So that was a good deal. A nice A clarinet, a great sturdy (as new) double case and silverplated keywork on top of that. Can't get much of a better deal !!

Last edited:
ok, I'm happy now ..... Leblanc LL A, early 1960s model (to go with my 1960s Bb) and a super nice double case that holds all the joints separately. Plus, hopefully it's silverplated like my early LL Bb

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...n_0&rt=nc&si=8MTOQpFzj3sDY%2BkGTjBnRJu3MYE%3D

There's a FB Leblanc LL A too but they want BIN $2800ish .. yikes .... a FB isn't worth that !!

so much for that LL ... it was shipped elsewhere. To Ann Arbor. trying to track it down as I'd drive to AnnArbor to pick it up. BUt it was sent to a PO BOX that isn't mine so I can't go get it !! Trying to have the sender from ebay to contact them and redirect it or something.

Back
Top Bottom