Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Bundy Alto going over the break!

Well I know, bundy alto, don't bother, whatever. But I got it for free (there's a joke in there too I bet) so it's not a loss for me.

Besides some pads that probably would need to be replaced soon, it looked fine to me. However I don't know how to get this thing to play over the break! I don't know if it's a mechanical issue, or it's just how alto is (being that I only own a soprano)

Any help regarding this would be great, thank you.

My lead alto plays a Bundy he had all through high school and college. He sounds amazing. In your case the problem could be so many things; maintenance issue, mouthpiece not matched to you or the horn, or a simple voicing issue. Can you sit down with your band teacher?

Ah I should have been more clearer, when press the keys to go over the break it will just play a note from the lower register as if the key wasn't pressed. Everything below the break plays fine and dandy.
I will however look it over with my clarinet teacher next week as well:p

Ah, the dreaded alto clarinet. That most likely is all about a leak or a bad mouthpiece/reed combination. Have you ever played a bass clarinet? Same issue happens when moving to the clarion range there too.

haha, I guess I could try out a different mouthpiece. But it just seems so odd that it doesn't even seem like it's trying to hit the higher register at all, instead it just plays the lower register as if the key was just there for show!

However that's only when my finger is on F, when I'm playing A sharp it most definitely has an effect.

Okay, I have a Bundy Alto (Clarinet!) as well. It's a fine player, btw.

Now, per the register mechanism - there's the covered/plateau-ed thumb key, and the register key that lifts a rocker. If you close the thumb hole, the mechanism will close the Bb vent (somewhat halfway between thumb hole and that rocker) and thus free the register vent which is near the top of the joint. If the thumb is left untouched (but the register key is used), then the Bb vent is opened. Bb vent and register key work alternating - it's either the one or the other, but not both, this is what that rocker is for. And if you don't operate the register key, the rocker will force both Bb and register vent to close.

I suspect that the register key simply does not open, either because the register key does not lift the rocker far enough, or the register key spring has disengaged - the register vent is passively operated, ie it is not opened by player's force but rather by a spring

If you want, I can post some pictures how the mechanism is meant to work. Took me quite a while to get mine to work reliably.

And...

...there are usually adjustment screws, either on the "rocker" or adjacent key work, that regulate how far the keys are able to travel under either circumstance. A touch or two of the screwdriver on these might resolve the problem, and won't make it any worse.

...there are usually adjustment screws, either on the "rocker" or adjacent key work, that regulate how far the keys are able to travel under either circumstance. A touch or two of the screwdriver on these might resolve the problem, and won't make it any worse.
Nah, the Bundy isn't much about screwing into adjustment. It's more like a question of microbending and sanding.

I'll take some snapshots today.

I've seen numerous cautionary note about the dreaded Alto. Been curious to know where exactly they would be employed. (sorry for the ignorance)

When military bands are actually involved in a real shootin' war, their members have often been utilized as stretcher bearers. The last time that this happened extensive was during Germany's war with the Soviet Union during World War II, but it could happen again.

Having an alto clarinet player available meant that there was another half of a stretcher team available when the inevitable casualties occurred.

Thanks a lot for those pictures!

My problem seems to be that when I press down the thumb plate and register key the rocker doesn't push back to open the valve. It opens with no resistance when I push the rocker back though.

But at least so far I got to try the higher range, this thing plays beautifully :D

I've seen numerous cautionary note about the dreaded Alto. Been curious to know where exactly they would be employed. (sorry for the ignorance)
It depends who the player is. Some players might play thigns and in situations that they can have an alto clarinet and wait forever without having anywhere to use it (except practice at home). If they depend on someone to give them sheet music for it, that might happen. Some people use alto clarinet in wind band or clarinet choir, but some of those don't have alto clarinets. Some players can choose what instrument to play in many situations or they might have music composed for them for the instrument they play, so they might play alto clarinet as much as they want to.

Back
Top Bottom