Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Rhapsodizing for clarinet

and I hope Pete doesn't get annoyed by me, but I am having so much joy with my modest little Artley clarinet!

I've been all round with all kinds of instruments--well, mostly strings, but I must say I'm discovering something that you folks must well know. I can play the same stuff--melodies, and improvise, and even play the harmony parts, and even sing--on guitars and other instruments, and this is why I chose guitars over horns when I was a kid, but...

Playing a carinet is so...ME. What a great instrument. It's easier than sax--in that I can play quietly, practice easily, play along with so many types of musc... I'm aware that the cl does have its challenges--and in many respects the sax is easier. And I wish I COULD play saxes this well. Don't get me wrong--this isn't about one being better than another...

Blue Cee (Mingus) came on the radio--learning some of those blues licks (or jazz licks, too I guess) that Shadi Hafi is playing on alto sax--they just peel off on cl. Sure, it's hard to roll off the front top key and make a chromatic break on that lick, but that's just technical challenge.

Walter Wolfman Jackson said "you gotta feel that instrument." Sheesh--I've been hearing this for 40 years. Well I've felt stuff, sure--had a lot of great times playing a lot of different music with many folks in many styles.

But this little wooden stick--who knew? (well, you probably did)... I've been around these all our lives--sisters and girlfriends played them... But now...

Is ths corny? Do I spend too much time thinking about it? I have the luxury at this point in my life to play a lot--I usually play several hours a day, interspersed with parenting, home-making, dog-sitting...

Will it eventually make me crazy--ruin my life? (*mild sarcasm combined with ironic self-effacing earnestness...but I couldn't find the "laconic" smiley*, icon)

... Yet your avatar is a sax ....

:p
her avatar looks like a pipe to me ?
ok, ok, she probably changed it :)

it's great to hear that you are having such fun on clarinet. I really enjoy it too and the music is fun and challenging.

It's a fantastic hobby

No, it's NOT a pipe.. ;-)
LAY-PIPE.gif

As made famous by Martysax.

Back
Top Bottom