Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Possible Solution for Right Thumb Pain

I just wanted to toss this out there for anyone who may benefit....

Since I started playing again, my right thumb has not been forgiving to me of the years my clarinet spent in it's case. I had even purchased a thumb support brace as at night, my thumb was hurting, and during our recent band concert, I actually had to massage my thumb a bit from the pain.

I purchased this little Ridenour Clarinet Thumb Saddle from WWBW for $11.99 and it has made a TREMENDOUS difference. My thumb still gets a little sore while playing, but now the pain goes away within about a 1/2 hour after I play, and the amount of pain and fatigue is lessening over time. No pain at night.

If you're interested, check out the link: http://www.wwbw.com/Ridenour-Clarinet-Thumb-Saddle-472122-i1431330.wwbw?mode=1

That looks like a great product. Thanks for the link. In my former life as a beginning band teacher, I always had on hand several feet of surgical tubing to make "little rubbers" for clarinet thumbrests. That helped but this product appears to be even better.

I'd been using a piece of cut tubing that MY beginning band director cut for me years ago! In the last kit I purchased with a new swab, cork grease, etc, there was a little foam thumbrest. This time around my thumb definitely needed something more, the saddle is doing the job. Ben's device is probably just as good, and definitely more cost effective! Thanks!

I've been using Ridenour's Thumb Saddle for a couple of years. It took a while to get used to it, but now I wouldn't be without it. It does protect the thumb, but also changes the angle of the RH fingers in a good way.

I think that is a great product that Mr. Ridenour created.

several problems that I have noticed for myself and students:

1 - my thumb hurts less the further away from the body it is .. ie, if the body was thicker and my hand was thus more spread. Thus Mr. Ridenours solution definitely helps there.

2 - the location of my thumb in relation to how my pinky and 3 tonehole fingers are positioned also allows my thumb to ease a bit. But then, I can more easily adjust for that (I don't move the thumbrest but put a much thicker cork as I normally have to move my thumb down and away from the body. Sometimes I've found my thumb position best on top of the little thumbrest (non adjustable types).

3 - also on many students they tend to push down and bite down thus pushing more weight onto their little thumb.

When the online shop has closed (or you're short of $12), you may want to consider my simple solution. instead. Not as pretty, but works nonetheless.
'Course, what I do is look at the stamp on your clarinet and think, "That's an Amati, isn't it?"

I like the foam idea, especially the cushion on the body. Makes me wonder if you could put a rubber band around the body end of the cushion so the end of the cushion doesn't roll up. Maybe a removable bit of velcro ....

'Course, what I do is look at the stamp on your clarinet and think, "That's an Amati, isn't it?"

I like the foam idea, especially the cushion on the body. Makes me wonder if you could put a rubber band around the body end of the cushion so the end of the cushion doesn't roll up. Maybe a removable bit of velcro ....

I normally take a bit of double-sided (double stick) tape between cushion and body. Works like a charm, and can be removed easily when the cushion is worn.

forgot another potential solution:

neckstrap
I remember going to an all-state band competition and there was a soprano sax player with a strap. I just thought it looked extremely odd.

I've played bass clarinet with a neckstrap before and I really didn't like the angle. That might be simular for Bb soprano. Boom stand of some kind, perhaps?

I remember going to an all-state band competition and there was a soprano sax player with a strap. I just thought it looked extremely odd.

I've played bass clarinet with a neckstrap before and I really didn't like the angle. That might be simular for Bb soprano. Boom stand of some kind, perhaps?
the biggest problem is the angle of the neckstrap from the neck to the connector loop on the clarinet. At certain positions I've had mine interfere with my left thumb.

I've also used it on soprano sax with potential interference again with my thumb. But I play off to the side ever so slightly so it's not problem for me.

I've also used it on soprano sax with potential interference again with my thumb. But I play off to the side ever so slightly so it's not problem for me.
It's been confirmed. Steve = Kenny G.

I read in a book that alot of thumb rest issues come from the body not being stable, it suggested putting a mouthpiece patch on your clarinet under the thumb rest on the body to try and give more stability to your horn from your thumb. I've been doing that about two months now, and I like it, it's been nice to me.

Had the same problem but due to my age. Somewhere I read that where you close your fingers and thumb normally (close eyes and see where they meet) then install an adjustable thumb rest to that position on clarinet. It worked for me.

Thumb pain

Since I started playing again, my right thumb has not been forgiving to me of the years my clarinet spent in it's case. I had even purchased a thumb support brace as at night, my thumb was hurting, and during our recent band concert, I actually had to massage my thumb a bit from the pain.

I purchased this little Ridenour Clarinet Thumb Saddle from WWBW for $11.99 and it has made a TREMENDOUS difference. My thumb still gets a little sore while playing, but now the pain goes away within about a 1/2 hour after I play, and the amount of pain and fatigue is lessening over time. No pain at night.
I also have thumb pain, in my case caused by age and osteo-artheritis. I used the ridenour thumb saddle for a while, and while it's a wonderful device it didn't entirely fix the problem. I then tried the basic Ton Kooiman thumb rest, which transfers the right thumb load to the base of the thumb and thence to the whole hand. It truly is a miraculous thing and has totally eliminated the problem. It's easily fitted with only a screwdriver, or your tech could do it in 5 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom