Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Selmer Tray Pack Alto Sax Clarinet Flute Case

Saw this on eBay

Just wondering if anyone has used this type of case. I am looking for a case for my C mels, and I would love to be able to transport a clarinet in the same case, as I am also minus a case for my B&H this would be perfect. If you have access to one, could I trouble you for a measurement of the interior, in particular the bell area.

Also, if anyone knows of a better/similar price on a new case like this(does not have to be Selmer), please let me know. I have not seen any cases like this except for Selmer and Conn(Conn would be better).

Fixed your quote for you, Steve:

It's definitely not the same size as an alto.

There are Bb tenor tray-pack cases out there. That might be better, but Bb tenor ≠ C melody tenor.

(Shouldn't it be "tres pack"? It's for three horns. Or is it an Americanism?)

BTW, shall I warm-up a flute thread for you, LowT?

I thought not, though I have not touched a C-Mel in probably ten years (there's a good reason for that).

Since I do not have a tenor tray-pack case I guess the question is still out there but for some reason I don't think it will fit very well.

The tray pack cases are also very very very heavy.

Most C melodies have a very skinny bell, in comparison to a Bb tenor. Most C melodies seem to have a bit taller bell, too. It's not quite like putting a violin in a viola case, but the end result is the same: it won't fit.

If you're going to try a case like this for a C melody, it might not be terribly difficult to put in some extra padding to "make" a C melody fit, but if you get a Bb tenor case that's more form fitting ("more tenor sax shaped"), that'd be a big problem.

What you could also do is look at one of those semi-gig-bag cases that are mainly foam, like this one, and get a rigid foam case for the clarinet that you can attach to the tenor case.

I measured my C-Mel at 24.5" from the bottom of the bow to the top of the tenon. That makes it only slightly longer than most altos. Some alto cases have extra space at the top to accomidate an oversized neck plug. Also, some cases have more room in the bell area than others. Tenors, IIRC are @27", so yes extra padding will make up for it. I have read elsewhere that "Some" alto cases will fit a C-Mel. Which? Yo no se.

For the sake of accuracy, vertically from the bottom of the bow to the lower lip of the bell is @14.5" and @16" to the top lip. And @8.5" from the back of the horns protusions to the edge of the bell, laterally. I've seen extra space in some alto cases in these areas, that is why I was curious.

I recently converted a Kohlert tenor case to fit my J.K. Toneking tenor. It wasn't as easy as first thought.

Since I have all the horns and cases in question, I can take some photos and show why the previously mentioned points are correct. Perhaps that will clear up some misconceptions about case sizes. That said, a C melody will best be protected in a true C melody case--in other words, a case made especially for the instrument.

I have a lot of experience in this area. I hired a boat builder to make a custom case for my bass saxophone. This was in the days before replacement cases for basses were available. (Pre bass saxophone renaissance.) The story can be read about on my site.

I have a lot of experience in this area. I hired a boat builder to make a custom case for my bass saxophone. This was in the days before replacement cases for basses were available. (Pre bass saxophone renaissance.) The story can be read about on my site.
I assume it also can be used as a row boat. Is it a one-seater or two?

I assume it also can be used as a row boat. Is it a one-seater or two?

Oh yah, it could be used as a U-boat. Bruce (the boat builder) noted that it was as "tight as a frog's ass".

That actually, has posed it own problems. After shows I have to get it home and air the case out to prevent moisture problems inside the case. I can never put the horn away damp. It dries in its stand, and gets put away only when completely dry.

Thanks Helen for that new expression. I got my laugh of the day from that visualization.

You're quite welcome my friend. I'm always happy to extend weird Canadian expressions beyond our borders. ;-)

Truth be told, I had never heard the expression before Bruce said it. It might be a Maritime thing (I've been on the West Coast all my adult life except for that 8 1/2 stint in New Brunswick), or it could be a boat builder's expression. Either way, it is very colourful, descriptive, and in this case, very accurate.

Back
Top Bottom