Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Advice on buying used altsax..

I'm from Denmark. I want to learn either clarinet or saxophone and right now I'm researching what to buy, preferable used and in good condition. The price range I'm mostly interested in is somewhere between 1000 og 2000 kr. (200-400 dollars).

I stumpled upon a used Yamaha Yas-25 for 1100 kr. ($200). It should be in good condition and judging from the pictures it seems okay. Others in that pricerange are a Jazzo, Swallow, Thomson and a Dixie. I don't know anything about these models and what to look for when buying. Can you maybe give me some advice on how to proceed? :)

-Eddie

Last edited:
You might strike it lucky with another horn out of that group, but the safest bet is to go with the Yamaha. As you are starting out, and there is no guarantee of success, better to start with a proven "good" instrument than to gamble on something else.

Incidentally, in today's International Musician, there is a Selmer "Mark VI" low A baritone, for all of $7,200 US dollars, you pick it up in Cleveland OH. It's said to be in "new" condition, stored always in air conditioned facilities.

I wonder what's wrong with that item?

Selmer Mark VI baritones and basses generally don't sell for megabucks. I'd have to check, but I think $7200 is about eBay average.

I've never heard of a YAS-25. Is that the European version of a YAS-23? I have a beat up YAS-21 in my shop that is quite interesting. It has a detachable bell and other features not found on the 23.

Unfortunately the YAS-25 has been sold. There's a Chäteau VCH-221L ALT for $360. Somewhere I read that they where okay student models. Other than that there is a Conn 20M for about $410 and a Yamaha YAS-25 and YAS-275 for $520 and $630, but I'm not sure I would pay that much for my first Saxophone.

I've never heard of a YAS-25. Is that the European version of a YAS-23?
I think it's actually, "Sold everywhere but the US." I used to think just Europe, as you mention, but I've seen them pop up in Asia and other continents. The most apparent difference between the 23 and 25 is that the 23's lacquer is brighter.

Xerophthalmia, all the other horns you've mentioned, other than the Yamahas and Conn, are rather low-quality Chinese-made horns -- and the Conn 20M is a middling horn, at best. The YAS-25, provided it doesn't have mechanical problems, is still a decent price at $520 and, because you're in Europe, it's still an excellent price. I'd rather recommend that you play on a decent horn, so you'll want to play more, than on a bad horn that'll make you want to quit. Additionally, the 25/275 will hold it's value if you do decide to give up playing.

The main difference between the YAS-25 and 275 is that the 275 has keywork that is more similar to higher-end Yamahas.

Xerophthalmia, all the other horns you've mentioned, other than the Yamahas and Conn, are rather low-quality Chinese-made horns -- and the Conn 20M is a middling horn, at best. The YAS-25, provided it doesn't have mechanical problems, is still a decent price at $520 and, because you're in Europe, it's still an excellent price. I'd rather recommend that you play on a decent horn, so you'll want to play more, than on a bad horn that'll make you want to quit. Additionally, the 25/275 will hold it's value if you do decide to give up playing.

The main difference between the YAS-25 and 275 is that the 275 has keywork that is more similar to higher-end Yamahas.

Thanks for the advice. It's too bad that the Yamahas are the first to go so I have to keep my eyes open :)

The Yamaha horns, having a good reputation, are quick to sell, true. However, the fact that they have a good reputation also ensures that there are a lot of them. Keep your eyes open, and another one will come along in due time.

Back
Top Bottom