Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Plateau Clarinet

Howdy, This is my B flat Plateau Clarinet, Albert system. The Makers mark is an Organ Console with the word Console over the top of the mark. The other marks are France, S-N 2017. I have eliminated about 40 French makers. Am now contacting M.I. Museums. The Clarinet is from the 1920's-30' period. I bought the Clarinet about 1960 in England. Does anyone recognise this Mark? also, Organ Makers who sold Clarinets, one would think this instrument could be a Stencil. Any info. most welcome. Thanks Keith.

004 (1024x768) PLATEAU.jpgclarinetpages 001 (640x480).jpgclarinetpages 003.JPGclarinetpages 007.JPG

Howdy. Photos enclosed for my Plateau Clarinet. The Makers Mark is a Organ Console. Does this relate to known maker. Thanks Keith.

Student model sold in Europe by Selmer, but probably made by Kohlert. Not particularly valuable: price range I saw on the Albert System models was about $175.

Primary reference. I did see others with the same "engraving" as your horn by searching Google.

Howdy, Thanks for the two replies. Just pointing out that their is no Selmer name on the Clarinet. It would make sense that it was sold out of Selmer London. Keith.

Howdy, Thanks for the two replies. Just pointing out that their is no Selmer name on the Clarinet. It would make sense that it was sold out of Selmer London. Keith.

It has keywork identifiers as a Malerne.
There is also another french manufacturer who I can't think of right now that had normal serial numbers and keywork ideitifiers like the Malernes which it could be. If I recall that name I'll post it.

And remember this is back in 1930 RIGHT AFTER Selmer UK was created. It probably was a "store brand" back then, and not a "normal" brand after they created a distribution network. So maybe research the first couple years of Selmer UK and find out if they even stamped Selmer on them. They may not have would be my guess.

There are many, many old clarinets out there with names and no brand association to them, one is left normally to the serial number or keywork design to identify who the original manufacturer was. Remember this was 80 years ago .. don't use modern thinking for what they may have been doing back then.

Back
Top Bottom