Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Selmer Paris clarinet mouthpiece with a rare "S" facing

Gandalfe

Striving to play the changes in a melodic way.
Staff member
Administrator
Quick question folks. As a saxophonist who doubles on clarinet on occasion, I tend to blow flat, so I have a setup that compensates a bit for that. Recently I bought a Selmer size S vintage mouthpiece and without changing the barrel, I'm 15 to 20 cents sharp on every note. This would be a very nice piece for those days when the cold weather causes me to me to blow way flat. Any idea why this mouthpiece would do this?

Here's the description: This auction is for a lightly used Selmer Paris clarinet mouthpiece with a rare "S" facing. I think this is a relatively old piece, although exactly how old it isn't I couldn't say for sure. I do not believe they still make this facing, or if they do, maybe they have changed its designation, because I can't seem to find it on any mouthpiece chart.

Here is the piece: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221802812563?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

SelmerParisSsizeClarinetMouthpiece.JPG

Last edited:
I seem to recall the Selmer clarinet mouthpieces were marked S, HS, and HS*. The best ones I played had the "S" inside an oval on the table of the mouthpiece. They were not designed to be "jazz mouthpieces", but concert mouthpieces that took a slightly stiffer reed.

Those were the common lays, but there have been far, far more. The last bass mouthpiece that I used was an E or F, and I recall learning that there were other options as well.

I've handled or owned B, C and C* mouthpieces, in addition to the HS and HS* versions. My favorite HS* piece was one that I acquired when digging through old horns at the late, much lamented Hunleth Music, down on Broadway in downtown Saint Louis.

Lord, how I loved that place!. They had piles of old clarinets that you could pick through for barrels or mouthpieces or bells, as well as all sorts of musical oddities. It's where I got my Chedeville single reed oboe mouthpiece (and little wooden box of reeds, custom made for the thing), and whenever I needed an odd part for a sax or clarinet, they would cough it up toute suite.

They kept all of their small item stock in those wooden drawers installed on the walls of the place, and the sales staff (all old farts, about my age now, I would guess) instantly knew were to find everything but the sheet music. Oh, and no pianos.

A great place, but one crowded out by the revitalization of downtown. The feeling that I had when I drove all the way down there, parked the car a couple of blocks away, and walked there with a bass clarinet in a case only to find that the place was closed forever, was profound. There were other good stores in the metropolitan area, but none rose to the level of Hunleth.

Two things you could check. First, how does it compare in length to a mpc that plays flatter? Second, seal the facing with tape on both mpcs, invert and fill with water, then measure and compare the volumes.

Back
Top Bottom