Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

"New" Selmer Paris K Series

I love getting new clarinets! I seem to only have unusual ones, and I like to know everything I can about them. The K Series is pretty hard to find much about. I have searched everything I can think of and have little idea of its real value or other tidbits.

It is has a K3000 serial number. It is an enhanced Boehm. The barrel has been replaced with a Backun barrel. I just got it today and it seems to play great and will take it to symphony practice tomorrow to really try out. (I am an adult member of the local youth symphony.) I am having trouble with the very high notes, but I think it's just that we are still getting used to each other. I am playing with a Selmer HS mouthpiece.

Any bits of wisdom since any relevant old posts were made?

I have four (yes, four) Selmer L series (Two RI's and two BT's) and I LOVE LOVE LOVE them. Did I say I love them? ;-) I'm strictly a jazz clarinetist (but do practice classical lit. as well) and they're absolutely perfect for what I do. For what it's worth...

John

I got it restored and it is wonderful. It probably deserves a better player than I am. My only issue is that now that it does not have a built up cork anymore, the Backun barrel does not fit. I tried all of my other barrels and only 1 will fit, a cheapo plastic one. The Backun is too big. The others are too small. Does anyone happen to have a spare barrel for a Series K laying around? How can I know if a barrel will fit, let alone tune correctly, if I can't actually try it. I live in a rural area and have no way to physically shop for one.

I got it restored and it is wonderful. It probably deserves a better player than I am. My only issue is that now that it does not have a built up cork anymore, the Backun barrel does not fit. I tried all of my other barrels and only 1 will fit, a cheapo plastic one. The Backun is too big. The others are too small. Does anyone happen to have a spare barrel for a Series K laying around? How can I know if a barrel will fit, let alone tune correctly, if I can't actually try it. I live in a rural area and have no way to physically shop for one.
My A (also enhanced boehm, K17xx) also plays really well.
If it doesn't have a built up cork, couldn't you have a new cork put on so the Backun could fit?
To try to help a bit on this also, I'll measure my A's barrel and top of the upper joint to see if it's similar with my caliper:
top of UJ inner diameter is .571 inches (14.5 mm)
Outer diameter of the upper joint is approx .905 inches (.937 counting the cork) at the largest point, about 23.8 mm.
ID of the lower part of the barrel below the bore is .925 inches (23.5 mm)
Barrel ID right before the mpc goes in is .881 inches, which is 22.38 mm.
Is the uj inner diameter about the same? If so then that's probably going to work with whatever barrel works on this. (I haven't tried a Backun barrel on this to see if the tenon size would match, though, so I can't guarantee that, though I assume it would.)

Even with the previous, built up cork, it was wiggly. With this cork, it will literally fall off if you tip it over. I think that even with a new built-up cork it will start to wiggle with a bit of wear. Thank you for your measurements. I appreciate you taking the time to help. (I need better calipers.) I may contact a barrel maker. Or maybe get a thicker cork. Too full from Christmas dinner to make a decision at the moment!

Back
Top Bottom