Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Cap for an AK Ligature ver 1

Hi I just bought a used AK ligature model 1 and am now trying to figure out a cap for it. Any suggestions on buying or making one?

Or two for $20 at https://smile.amazon.com/Dilwe-Saxo...qid=1642349635&sprefix=omnicap,aps,95&sr=8-31

1642349792183.png

Thanks Gandalfe for the tip. npi I ended up getting a couple each for my Bb bass clarinet and Bb clarinet from across the ocean. My friend wanted one as soon as he saw it so he could put it on to keep the tip wet while he switched to another instrument.

I did notice that some size/color combinations were on sale, like a white one for bari was $12. Normal price is $20.

It does make me wonder if this is available as a 3D printer file. Hmmmm.

I experimented with making the short caps in TPU on a 3D printer. I posted my OpenScad code on Thingiverse. They looked promising at first but I found the concept did not stay well on some mouthpiece shapes. It probably works better with the rubber used in the injection molded caps by Silverstein and others.

I moved on to making more traditional mouthpiece caps out of PLA. To get a great fit, I need to have the mouthpiece for test fits. I also recently found that the wall thickness needs to be 1.6 mm thick (4 layers). At 1.2 mm thick, the PLA material changes shapes while stored on the mouthpiece and the fit gets loose. Shorter expansion slits in the design also seem better.

The long slit design does work well on Rovner caps. Check them out too.

This was my source. I suggest getting the larger size as you can always trim a bit and my theory is that the larger size doesn't squeeze the reed till closer to the base where it is more solid.

This was my source.

Make sure you pick up a Mark VI for $469 while you're there :p.

Somewhat more seriously, I have bought a couple things from AliExpress and didn't have a problem, other than it took a long time to ship. I wouldn't recommend spending much there, particularly on instruments, but less than $5 to try 'em out? I'd be OK with that.

Link is 404'd (dead).
Odd. I copy/pasted both links. let’s try this one.

Back
Top Bottom