Eppelsheim & J'elle Stainer

Ya. I haven't called Laksar yet. Been trying to research a bit before hand. He also has a demo model IW-602, and I'm juggling between the both of them. I played an IW once, but that was the 601 original model that James Carter had, and wasn't that impressed. I've heard the 602 is leaps and bounds ahead, but I can't find any reviews of the J'elle on SoTW, or anywhere for that matter.

Are you a member of the Bass Sax Co-op? There was an interesting review recently of one of the Asian basses. Gives one pause for thought. I'd really want to try before I buy, that's for sure.

Even when I flew to New Orleans (yes, with an extra plane ticket in hand for my bass :)) I wasn't 100% sure I'd buy it until I played it. But once I started doing major & minor arpeggios, and noodling around on it for 15 minutes, I was sold on it.

Don't you want a brief trip to California? The weather's probably nicer than where you are. Besides, then if you buy it, you too could buy a ticket and have a sax as a paying passenger. :cool:

Ya. I haven't called Laksar yet. Been trying to research a bit before hand. He also has a demo model IW-602, and I'm juggling between the both of them. I played an IW once, but that was the 601 original model that James Carter had, and wasn't that impressed. I've heard the 602 is leaps and bounds ahead, but I can't find any reviews of the J'elle on SoTW, or anywhere for that matter.
I've heard reviews from people who have not been public about their experiences. I'd certainly recommend trying them before buying them. But then I bought an Eppelsheim bass based on playing one in town. Plus I had one of the soprillos. Top drawer these instruments.

The problem is I just got back from CA. I was out there about a month ago for a trade deal with Bari_sax_diva and unfortunately was stupid and didn't stay longer than 36 hours. We had never met, and I didn't want to be an imposition, we're already planning the next trip, but I don't know when that's going to be. I might plead with her and ask her to go out and play them, and report back, but I wanted some more info before I did that. I'm a member of the coop, but haven't had time to sift straight through that. It's not exactly the easiest thing to navigate.

I know the Eppies are GREAT horns, but as I'm still a college student, the price tag is not exactly appealing, and there are none on the used market.

If you enter 5433 into the Message # box & hit go, you'll find the post I'm talking about on the Co-op. There was quite a bit of follow-up discussion about it as well.

Thanks Helen. I haven't really dug around there much, but it's much different then digging around here and SoTW. Didn't check that thread since it mentioned Orpheo, but it looks like I'm in for some heavy reading tonight and tomorrow.
Tom

Even when I flew to New Orleans (yes, with an extra plane ticket in hand for my bass :)) I wasn't 100% sure I'd buy it until I played it.

With who (or which shop) did you hook up in New Orleans? When I was there back in late 2006, there was only one horn shop that I could find that was open, this being over on Magazine Street, and they were certainly too small and too grungy to be offering a harmory saxophone of any kind. (They did have a very early Selmer alto, but it was pretty well trashed.)

Oh this was way before Katrina. I bought my bass sax from Paul Coats. Where I play tested it for the first time was at Steve Goodson's shop. (Steve had helped Paul do some of the real tough restoration work that was necessary on the horn, and that needed extremely specialized tools to do.) Paul and I spent the day with Steve, and Steve moved the thumb rest over for me so it would fit my hand better.

It was an amazing day spent among literally hundreds of vintage saxophones. I got to play some of Steve's prize possessions, and see some amazing vintage horns that I'd only ever read about. It was quite something. Southern hospitality at its finest.

Thanks Helen. I haven't really dug around there much, but it's much different then digging around here and SoTW. Didn't check that thread since it mentioned Orpheo, but it looks like I'm in for some heavy reading tonight and tomorrow.
Tom

Well given that there are so few factories that make the Asian basses, just because it says Orpheo, don't mean it's an Orpheo...If'n you catch my meaning...Also the spin off conversations are quite salient to your quest.

So all that to say...Yes, take notes. There's a test later. :-D

Oh I know. One of the local shops has a "Hunter" branded bass that absolutely roars. I swear it's the same as the IW-661 but upon emailing the manufacturer, they claim that the Hunter is it's own, and that they have "special craftsmen" for just their brand. I call a load of malarkey but there isn't much to be had with argueing.
http://marshwoodwinds.com/viewItemImages.asp?ItemID=1382
It says it's a Keilwerth copy because that's what Hunter claims, but as it's a French wrap, Rodney kindly informed me "That's a load of horse sh*t, it's French wrap and Keilwerth wouldn't be caught dead doing that". I saw it originally and went wtf, that isn't a Keilwerth copy, but oh well. It actually plays incredibly well, intonation was spot on with a STM 8 bari piece and it roared. I got complimented on how good I sounded, but I have the unfair advantage of playing bari regularly, and also playing tuba.

I think the Stainer horn would be a much better buy though if it plays better than the Chinese ones. They look amazing, and hopefully sound as good if not better. The low A is a nice feature too, and they just look stunning to boot.
One of my friends out in the LA area has offered to go play the basses at Laksar's store side by side and let me know what she thinks. She's a killer player and I trust her, so we'll see how that goes. I was just trying to get a quality comparison out of some others that own them, and see if I could even find someone who owned one.

I'm a huge endorser of "Try the actual horn you are buying before plunking down the money." I did buy my Eppelsheim bass sight unseen, but I already owned an Eppelsheim Eb Tubax, and I was bowled over by the excellence of the instrument.

Good news - You can still buy from online sources when you adopt the "Try it first" attitude, that is, if the dealer has a return policy.

Bad news - Shipping back and forth on a bass saxophone is expensive, and watch out for restocking fees.

Even if you can't afford an Eppelsheim, the current economic situation works in your favor. When you find a bass saxophone you love, make an offer. The seller might take it nowadays, even if it's lower than the asking price. See what happens.

If you win the lotto, or have any other excuse, get an Eppelsheim

Oh I am too. Problem is both of the horns are in California, and I'm still in college in NC. If I ended up buying one, I would more than likely fly out to CA, but I was mainly trying to see if they were worth it to fly out there. And yay for same thread subjects on multiple forums, sorry about that Randy.

So, since you, Helen and Jim seem to visit here more often, then I'll keep it here.

Back
Top Bottom