Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

What are you Listening to?

Still Lianne La Havas. I just bought her CDs last week. I do prefer her live performances caught on YouTube, but I don't mind paying for music if she makes more!

(Ohey I know someone in that link Gandalfe shared)
Currently I'm listening to the Berliner Philharmoniker play Mahler 5 on the entertainment system of the plane I'm on.

And you may ask yourself, "So why are you on a plane?". As it ever was, I'm going to Clarinetfest in Ostende this week. Unfortunately not playing in a recital or something, but it's sure to be great fun!
(that paragraph is subtly referencing a song by The Talking Heads, if a couple of phrases in that sounded familiar and/or out of place.)

(heh, I got to hear part of that in studio class a week ago)
Two things from what we've been rehearsing in Symphonic Winds:
1: Omar Thomas's Our New Day Begun
(either they added in the part with just the Soprano singing and the piano with her, or there's two versions of this that Thomas wrote, we don't have any soloist singing like that. Not that I mind that, I like how they did it.)
2: Suite of stuff from Bernstein's Mass, arranged by Michael Sweeney

Both of these are great pieces!
(We're also playing Sousa's Hands Across the Sea; and Gounod's Petite Symphonie, which I'm not playing in, as it's for 9 players. I'll link the concert when it happens, also maybe recordings of rehearsal if they're both good and allowed to be shared.)

From our orchestra's concert tonight:
Introduction starts at about 17:45;
Overture to Candide starts at about 22:45,
Rhapsody in Blue is at 33:30 (piano soloist is our own Dr. Bunchman! Also note the 3 saxophones contemporary to the piece. =P 2 Buescher NA Altos and a Conn New Wonder 1 Tenor, if anyone's curious-not positive on the 1 vs 2 part for the Conn Aaron is playing, but they all sound good either way.)
And after a (rather long) intermission, Beethoven 7 starts at 1:15:30ish. Also as a fun fact, you can hear Madison use the bell and barrel to my A on the 2nd clarinet part! She somehow managed to find another Selmer K series A for sale very cheap without a barrel and bell, and is borrowing mine for a bit until she can get a Backun or similar non-stock barrel, as finding a barrel for one of these is likely almost impossible.
There seems to be some occasional glitches in the recording in the Beethoven where it stops for an instant then skips ahead several seconds, sorry about that, but I can't exactly fix that. (it's not being livestreamed from a cell phone, so there's that...)

*I'm also watching a rather interesting clarinet on ebay right now, not saying what it is yet in case some random person finds this by searching his name and decides to start a bidding war and get it to go for some obscene amount. I'll post on that once it ends...*

Part of the Backun Live Series, this video features Eddie Daniels performing the Aaron Copland Clarinet Concerto with Maestro Roberto Molinelli conducting the Orchestra Sinfonica G. Rossini at the Teatro Rossini in Pesaro, Italy on February 17, 2012. Special thanks to Maestro Molinelli and the Orchestra Sinfonica G. Rossini for sharing this recording with us and allowing us to post it on our YouTube page! Special thanks also to Corrado Giuffredi for performing with Eddie, Roberto and the orchestra on the performance. Eddie is playing a Backun Cocobolo Clarinet with Gold Keys, a Fatboy Cocobolo Barrel, Traditional Cocobolo Bell and Eddie Daniels Backun Classical Mouthpiece.

I have no excuse for why I haven't written something in here. I shall try to keep up.

I was browsing YouTube for music, as one does, and came across a band called Zero 7. It's the group that Sia sang with before she became uber-famous. I was playing the below track and had to turn around when the background vocals started and said, "Ooooh. That's nice."

The United States Army Band, “Pershing’s Own,” presents a recital of chamber music of the highest caliber. In addition to delivering large ensemble, choral, and ceremonial performances, the acclaimed musicians in Pershing’s Own engage the community through exciting, cutting edge art music for small, intimate groups of musicians featuring a variety of instrumentations.

Currently, two things from our upcoming 2 concerts in April!
First piece I'll link is Jonathan Newman's Moon by Night:
https://jonathannewman.com/music/moon-by-night-band
(I have no idea what band is in the recording there, sorry.)
2nd piece I'll link is Schoenberg's Theme and Variations.
The piece is a bit, uh, difficult, but very fun!
This recording is from Fred Fennell and the Eastman Wind Ensemble in 1957.

These are gonna be for a concert with the choir in late April. (hence the first piece being able to be played by both band and/or choir.) We've got most of the stuff for that concert already, and I'll link a piece or two every week or two!
I've also got a recital I'm going to at 6, which if I can find a recording online of the two more recent pieces, I will link here! The middle piece of the three is Bernstein's Clarinet Sonata.

Back
Top Bottom