Step up from Yamaha YCL 221ii bass clarinet?

I play in a few local orchestras. I've been very pleased with the tone and reliability of my Yamaha YCL221ii. At the same time, I'm wondering how a "step up"/"better" bass clarinet would sound and play.
As far as I can tell, moving up from the YCL 221ii is a *huge* price increase to purchase used wood Selmer's or Buffet's. I live in the Pacific Northwest should that influence anyone's thinking about wood and humidity.
What would you suggest that I consider as a step-up?
Thanks in advance, Ken

Hey Ken. I work for our sponsor, Quinn the Eskimo Brass and Winds. I fought two used bass clarinets (as a doubler) for a couple years and finally dropped some serious change on a Buffet Privilege bass clarinet. As soon as I played it, I knew I had to have it. I have never had an issue with the weather here as it relates to wood instruments and my wife and I have many. But I rarely play outside, maybe two times a year so there's that. I suspect that any professional clarinet from Selmer, Buffet, or Yamaha would make you very happy. But if you can try them first, that should help you select ones that don't have showstopping idiosyncrasies. Good luck with your search.

I don't know how it would compare to your Yamaha, but the Kessler low C horn seems to be getting a lot of good feedback. It's not a pro level horn like a Selmer or Buffet, but it also doesn't break the bank. Check out the Michael Lowenstern video at the bottom of the page. My rather pathetic Artley student horn has me a bit frustrated, but so far I haven't played enough show gigs to justify getting a new horn.

You could also consider a good condition used horn. The main problem there is that it'll be more difficult to find a low C horn, if that's what you're after.

If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't have paid the extra for the low C.
Interestingly, that's the opposite of my experience, as of lately! I've seen a lot of notes requiring the extension in the past year and a half that I've been in the Symphonic Winds at USM, the majority of which are and were low D. (Looking at you two, Omar Thomas and Arnold Schoenberg!)
If I end up with a solo needing one of those three extra notes, I probably will need to borrow one of the school low C basses!
My Selmer low Eb plays great, though! (Especially considering that unlike the school basses, it doesn't need any work done - I've already had to build up a cork with tape on one of those so the register mechanism would work!)
I bought it from Meridian Winds a couple of years ago, it's slightly older than me, being made in 1997.

If you want a low C, I would recommend either the Kessler mentioned above, or a used Selmer, Yamaha, Buffet, or Uebel, in no particular order.

Even if it is not written, you can tell where descending lines have been split and taken up an octave because the arranger did not think an extended BC would be available. I often hear the unbroken lines in the tuba or bassoon and play them on my low C capable BC.

Thanks for all your input.

I'm wondering if anyone has played both the Yamaha YCL221ii and the Kessler bass clarinets? I realize the Kessler goes to low-C, which I'm not sure that I need. Comparisons would be appreciated. Also, anyone open to selling a used professional bass clarinet from Buffet, Yamaha, Selmer or Uebel, at a win/win price. please let me know

Well, I don't think you're going to find a cheap aluminum Uebel bass clarinet ...

The bass clarinets I've played are all to low Eb. I've played two or three plastic Vitos, which actually weren't that bad, a wooden Selmer USA, and a rather old -- like 60 or so years old -- Buffet that probably would have played great if it had a full overhaul. The contra I played was a Leblanc paperclip to low C. I've played many Bb soprano clarinets.

I have noted that some folks say there's a major difference between playing a "French"-style clarinet and a German-style Bb soprano clarinet, regardless of whether the horn's an Oehler-system, simple-system, or Boehm. Suffices to say that I'd probably want to sit down and play with my favorite mouthpiece on the horn for a while before buying. Unless I can get a money back warranty if I don't like it. That's one of the benefits to getting a new horn. Ebay? You probably wouldn't get this. Some online shops are a maybe.

Also make sure that you're not allergic to silver plate. The keys on the 221 are nickel plate. That might limit your buying options really fast.

Back
Top Bottom