Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

WW Quintet music with transposed bass clarinet rather than bassoon?

Are you aware of any Woodwind Quintet music available with the bassoon part already transposed into bass clarinet? I prefer not going through the learning process of transposing clefs, key signatures etc. Please reply with any source(s) you may have.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Have I heard of that? Yes. Can I give you an example for a quintet? No. However, I do have an alternate answer:

Provided you have a computer, grab a copy of Musescore. It's free. Enter notes, which is easy (just point and click), but can be time consuming without a MIDI keyboard and interface. However, if you don't have a keyboard, here's a used one for $30. Here's a MIDI interface for $45, new. And, no, you don't have to be a big time keyboard player. You hit a key on the keyboard for the pitch, then you hit a key on the your (typing) keyboard for the note duration (or vice versa; it's been a while since I've used Musescore).

One of my tasks, when I was an assistant to a director, was to do exactly this. You get faster each time you create a page!

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm debating now whether I want to go this route rather than play with other instrumentalists. It's more complicated than I had imagined- which was to scan a bassoon part, hit a key to transpose it, and, transposition us done. Not so however.

I've used Musescore to transpose lots of pit orchestra bassoon parts. No, I don't have a keyboard or a MIDI interface. Did it take time. Sure. But not as long as it would have taken me to re-learn bassoon. :p (That is a slow and painful process for me I'm afraid. ;))

Back
Top Bottom