Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

H-Couf and Armstrong, revisited

Of course, then you had those Bundy Specials. SN 48799. You can look at the pictures on the junkdude.com website. Were these Keilwerths or German Amati's or Dörfler & Jörka or something?

What is interesting identifier is the bell roll. If you notice they don't roll the bell all the way over and instead roll it and meld it into the bottom of the bell flare. This unique feature may help identify who actually made it. I know some vintage brass (mostly Trumpets and Cornets) had this type of bell roll but I cannot recall which makes/models.

That was a JK feature. Both my Tonekings have it, and both were made in 1957.

Bell-Lip.jpg

With regards to the Bundy horns you mention, they were made by JK, but were sent to D&J to get their key work put on. Then they horns were sent back to JK for final assembly. This is documented on my D&J page, and is sourced from German saxophone historian Uwe Ladwig's journal articles in Sonic: sax & brass

Last edited:
or this SN 65024 with a see-saw F# and high position high F#
take a good look at the RH keys there

That particular horn @Steve has a G# triller. This is the only Couf I have seen that has that key. It is not mentioned in the literature as even exisiting. Do you have more pix of this horn I could take a look at?

That particular horn @Steve has a G# triller. This is the only Couf I have seen that has that key. It is not mentioned in the literature as even exisiting. Do you have more pix of this horn I could take a look at?
I will check my archives for more pictures. I my have pictures of more than one horn with that key.

That was a JK feature. Both my Tonekings have it, and both were made in 1957.

With regards to the Bundy horns you mention, they were made by JK, but were sent to D&J to get their key work put on. Then they horns were sent back to JK for final assembly. This is documented on my D&J page, and is sourced from German saxophone historian Uwe Ladwig's journal articles in Sonic: sax & brass
That is interesting info about the earlier ToneKings bell lip. I never did much research into the earlier horns although EZmpc had one for a short time. Was a nice smokey sounding horn with tons of flexibility.

I have finished the Couf soprano page. I am currently working on the alto one. IIRC, I am nearly done. My goal is to get all of them done by the end of the year.

Comments? Let 'em rip. Steve, please chime in with whatever errors you see. (Hopefully there aren't too many--ideally none!) ;)

I can't remember now if I posted this already, but the main Couf page has been done for a while. These individual pages are only to go over the differences between the Superba I & IIs for each voice.

Back
Top Bottom