Covid-19 Discussion

If there is one good thing that has come out of the Covid crisis, it is that my observation is that society has become a little more caring and tolerant, and a little more polite than it was a year ago. I hope the effect is not just a temporary aberration.
Good point. Then again, that usually happens close to Christmas too.....

So, my wife teaches at the same school my youngest daughter goes to. They started the new semester a week or so after Gandalfe's post. Earlier this month, a student tested positive and he and his friends were quarantined (using just generic pronouns; I don't know the student). Last week, the administration decided to go back to home-schooling using Zoom and a couple other apps. So, it's ramping back up. Yay. :(

As a followup from my earlier posts, here in Oz we seem to be getting on top of things. In Victoria we have had no new cases and no deaths for over 2 weeks now and our lockdown is being progressively eased. As of midnight tonight we no longer have to wear masks outdoors except where its impossible to social distance, travel within the state is now unrestricted and most state borders have opened. There are still a few hotspots, but they are diminishing. It is possible to beat Covid, but it takes determination, a methodical approach and the cooperation of the populace. Here, mask wearing was pretty well universal and they have been proven to work. Elsewhere the wearing of masks seems to have become a political statement, and Covid doesn't follow politics.

I am looking forward to the vaccine.

My sister-in-law, a nurse, was also diagnosed with Covid. She's still at home and is miserable, but that's better than "hospitalized."

Pete, I hope your sister-in-law has a speedy and complete recovery.

We now have a few vaccines on the horizon that look hopeful. There might be light at the end of the proverbial tunnel.

Notes

Thanks, Bob. I appreciate that.

I've been able to get my mom on-board with using Zoom. I'm happy with that, as I now get to actually see her and we have scheduled calls every weekend. I haven't been able to go out to visit her -- I'm in AZ and she's in NY -- and, unless the vaccines are proven good, we can't see each other in person again because we're both in high-risk categories.

I haven't had a report on my sister-in-law in a bit. I know my wife and daughter Face-time them regularly and I haven't heard anything negative, so I'll assume the situation is stable.

My wife Leilani and I are self-isolating. We haven't had a gig since March. At first we were disappointed, but then realized how lucky we are. The tourists aren't coming to Florida so the only guys working are the singles willing to play for $20 and a meal.

But by not having to gig in crowded places without a mask (for singing and sax playing) we don't have to play COVID Roulette.

The mortgage is paid, so are the cars, and we have no debt, so we can survive on Social Security and whatever my Band-in-a-Box aftermarket business brings in.

We had 7 people in Leilani's large family test positive, one had it seriously others didn't need hospitalization. She's on the mend.

It's a nasty bug, and when the vaccine is available to people like me, I'll get in line unless something goes terribly wrong before that. The phase 3 tests look good so I'm not expecting any problems.

I'll be glad when this is all behind us.

Take care,
Bob

Eyeing the vaccine and feeling lucky that I don't have to take it first, second, or third in this state. In Washington state round one is testers (done), round two is medical staff and folks in old folk's homel, and third (next year) is teachers and first line workers. By time it gets to us regular seniors it will have been in circulation for months. Hopefully that will shake out any of the bugs?

My Washington state kids have worn their masks at work for up to 12 hours at a time. They usually forget they are wearing them. Josie told me that sometimes she catches herself driving home having forgotten to take the mask off! I can't even.

They have been tested every month or more since March!

With a long mustache, the mask eventually bothers me by tickling my face. But I put it on before I go out, and don't touch it until I get home. Having the mask on reminds me not to touch my face and if COVID is blocked by the fibers, I don't want to touch the mask either.

Leilani and I are actually having a great time together 'safer at home'. 24/7/365 is not enough time to be together. We only go out when absolutely necessary, masked and gloved, take our clothes off before coming in the house (we have privacy in our yard), sterilize things before they come in, and we live without AC (always have) so we get fresh air through the house all day.

We have a half acre on a short dead-end street in usually warm, sunny Florida with dozens of trees I planted 30 years ago. We're luckier than those who live in apartments. We're also lucky that we are best friends, and we can make music together (she plays guitar, synth, and sings).

The vaccine is close, it's not time for us to let our guard down. There is no Ctrl+Z or undo on the occasion where you might have exposed yourself to the plague.

I've been unemployed since March. At first I was upset when the gigs started being cancelled, but soon I realized I'm lucky. A friend of mine plays to a younger crowd so he didn't have all his canceled. 3 out of 4 got COVID playing at a bar, and one died. My friend was the lucky one.

So I'm writing more aftermarket style e-disks and fake e-disks for Band-in-a-Box. By the time I get enough for a new release, I should be able to bring in some money. My part-time 'moonlighting' biz has become my focus.

Hang in there, stay safe, when the vaccine is proven be sure to get it, and perhaps we can be almost normal for the 2021/2022 season.

Insights and incites by Notes

Leilani and I are actually having a great time together 'safer at home'. 24/7/365 is not enough time to be together.
There is something to be said for marrying a musician. I met my wife in high school band, she played clarinet. Now she plays or subs in all my crazy band projects. Life is good.

Leilani was my second. The first marriage ended partially because it's difficult for a day person and a night person but mostly because we didn't know what we didn't want.

I vowed if I did it again, it would have to be someone in the biz. Leilani and I were in different bands when we met. When both broke up we joined a 5 piece followed by a trio followed by a quartet that grew to 5 and when that one started having troubles, I started to make my own backing tracks and we became a duo. That was in 1985 and until COVID, we gigged steadily.

I play sax, flute, wind synth, drums, bass, guitar and keyboards so doing my own backing tracks was a natural. It also enables me to make aftermarket styles for Band-in-a-Box.

We've been together 42 years now and having a great time.

Live is indeed good, the perfect way to spend the time of day.

Notes

Back
Top Bottom