‘All the other things you want to talk about without ruining someone else’s thread’ thread

I have zero underwater pictures. I've never owned a submersible camera.

The Bahamas have crystal clear waters and the combination of the sky and the coral brings the colors of the fish and the reef out better than anywhere else I've been. East of Key Largo, Florida is John Pennekamp Underwater State Park. The fish are the same species, but in Florida, there is more organic matter in the water, and it isn't as clear. It's nice in its own way, though.

I once had a pair of white gloves with yellow dot grippers on them. The dots were probably about 1/16th of an inch each. A school of Sergeant Major Fish came up to my hands and started pecking at the dots. I moved the gloves in front of my face, so I could see better. I had a scuba tank on then, and I think I was laughing through the breathing gear.

The biggest fish I've ever caught was a 275 pound shark. I was a teenager at the time. My father used to take me out on a commercial fishing boat for my birthday present. I liked the experience much better than a possession, and still live like that.

I had what seemed like a bonito on the line, by the way it took the bait and went straight down. Then it got wild, that's when the shark took the bonito and got hooked. By the time it got to the boat, it had tangled everyone's lines, so they helped me reel it in. Today I would have immediately released it, but back in the early 1960s it was common practice to bring all the fish in, and hang them up for all to see. It was advertising for the boats because people used to come to the docks to see what the boats brought in. I was just a kid and didn't know any better.

I've never seen turtles swim in a pack. On a dive it depends on the time of the year, and if you see one underwater, it's a very nice experience. We've also seen 3 different species coming on shore to lay their eggs.

When I was a child in Florida, I used to be able to see many more stars, and even the Milky Way. But since the introduction of central air conditioning, Florida has grown like crazy. Now, only after a hurricane do we have dark skies. Sometimes I'll go down to the Everglades National Park and camp. Plenty of stars there.

The temperature is back in the 80s in the day and 60s at night. The place where we gig one weekday afternoon per week was packed last week. They had to call in extra wait staff to handle the number of guests. What a wonderful place to live!

Did you say spoonbill? This one in the Everglades National Park on a Mangrove tree.

P1000902small.jpg

We actually have very few flamingos, you were lucky to see one. They were hunted to extinction in Florida by plume hunters. Since then, a few have returned, but it's very rare to see one.

The Key Deer are small because the island they live on (Key Largo) is not very big. They were landlocked there for centuries, and evolution downsized them. We have normal-sized deer on the mainland.

Here is an orchid that grows on one of our live oak trees.

20200419_094804 (2).jpg

They are air plants (Epiphytes), the roots hold them to the tree, they get moisture from the rain and dew, and trap organic matter in their root and leave clusters for food.

Here's another

!!2017-11-24_122920.jpg

These aren't wild, but purchased at a nursery. We have native orchids in Florida, but it's irresponsible to harvest them from the wild, and nurseries don't sell the natives. They do sell commercially grown species, and that's we buy. Fortunately we never get frost here, as that would kill the orchid plants.

Our trip to Australia was fantastic. Luckily, Mrs. Notes prefers experience to possessions too, so much of our money goes to travel. We've been to 49 US States (Hawaii is next), Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, St. Croix & St John (US Virgin Islands), more than half the Canadian provinces, 7 Mexican states, Bahama Islands, Bermuda Islands, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Saint-Martin/Sint Maarten, Jamaica, Cayman Islands, England, Scotland, Wales, Gibraltar, The Netherlands, Hungary, Spain, Italy, Morocco, Czech Republic, Austria, Australia, Russia, Japan and China (From the Great Wall down to Hong Kong). Nicaragua, Japan and Russia were very short visit site stops on other adventures, we need to go back to Japan and Russia.

We've been to some of these places more than once, but never repeat the same area. There are at least 50 more places we want to visit, and unless science produces a miracle, we don't have 50 more years on this side of the sod. We travel once per year, and unfortunately, COVID has taken two travel vacations away from us.

But we're still healthy, and that's more important.

Notes ♫

Snorkelling in the Bahamas by sounds heavenly. The colour of the sky really does bring out the colour of the ocean. There are so many different colours of the ocean that it’s never the same. Snorkelling is truly something I wish I could have done. I would have been a great snorkeler if I could only swim underwater.

The Sargent Majors fish probably thought your gloves were fish. That’s cute. Lol.

Ok. Your father takes you fishing on a commercial fishing boat for your birthday. I’m guessing there a few serious fisherman on board . You ‘hook’ a 275 pound shark, which all the other fishing persons on board help you catch, and you don’t have a picture of it.? Seriously? Plus you tell this unbelievable story and don’t let us know if you ALL decided to keep this shark or let it go.
I’m guessing you let it go.

I didn’t really think turtles swam in a pack.
It was just a funny turtle scene. Witnessing turtles laying their eggs on the beach would be exciting though.

The stars could definitely been seen much clearer years ago. We’ve polluted the environment and then there are so many lights that the stars are harder to see.
Since moving, the sky is much more exciting.

Your temperatures are already in the 80’s? That’s really nice. It was 10 Celsius today.

Yes I said spoonbill and that’s a lovely picture of just that. A beautiful colour.
I visit Florida in 1990. My husband didn’t go with me since we were ( technically ) still dating but I saw plenty of flamingos. They were everywhere. I remember them looking so beautiful. What a horrific sin to know these were slaughtered to near extinction.
I bet Mother Earth can’t wait to rid herself of humanity. Think how the earth would flourish then.

Anyway that’s a bit morbid.
It’s very interesting how with evolution, every living thing adapts accordingly. We have boated to Islands and gone exploring and I wondered then what would happen if deer or other animals walked across in the winter when the ice was frozen and possibly stayed there until spring. Would they swim back or wait for winter to walk back and that’s if the ice is thick enough.

You have orchids growing in oak trees. How fabulous is that. That’s something we can’t do here. It’s magical but then again so are those air plants. Isn’t natural incredible?

You’ve certainly travelled lots. I did more travelled because I met my guy and most of our travelling was roughing it. We’d go interior camping ; canoeing from lake to lake and portaging in between. It’s really fun but a lot of work and you have to be prepared for bears, wolves, coyotes etc. Most people aren’t. It’s not extravagant but now we are making up for it.

Oddly enough we’ve done more travelling and socializing since Covid.

No picture. Back then it was cameras and film, and cameras were not convenient to bring on a rocking boat with a lot of salt water and spray.

Usually we caught King Mackerel, Groupers and/or Red Snappers. If we caught Bonitos, Amber Jacks, or other less tasty fish, they went back in the water. They brought the shark in, hooked it on a peg along with the "Kingfish" for advertising, and I don't know what they did with the shark after that.

We also caught a lot of edible fish and took them home. In those days, we never came back without fish to eat.

If I caught one today, I'd release it, no matter how big the shark was. As an adult with a more mature brain, I am not wanting to kill anything needlessly. I don't mind killing for dinner, but not for 'sport'. OK, I'll swat a mosquito with no second thoughts. :)

It's been in the around 80F in the day and mid 60s at night here. Perfect weather for the tourists, I'd like it about 5 degrees (F) warmer. (I wish we would join the rest of the world and go metric).

I've done my fair share of tent camping, but I haven't done that in decades. When hurricane Dorian wiped out 90% of the homes in the Bahamas in 2019, we donated our tent to the relief. I've had some great times in the Bahamas, especially in the Abacos and it was time for a pay-back. They needed shelter desperately.

Volunteers had collection centers nearby and people boat lifted supplies there. We bought some food and LED lights and added that to our donation.

We never tent camped where we had to watch for bears or wolves. We did a month in Alaska in a class C motorhome, the type with the bed over the cab of the van.

One morning we had moose grazing near us, we watched from the safety of the van. We did see a black bear one day, we observed from a safe distance and then moved on.

In Alaska, you can't drive to Denali, you have to take the bus. One day we got to a ranger station, and a bear was across the road with her cub. They wouldn't let us out of the bus. (Good idea).

When the bear moved on, we went into the ranger station for some informational talks before we did the next leg of the journey. The bear and cub came back. We were on the second floor balcony, and they came about 50 feet from us where she stopped and nursed her cub. I took a video of that. However, the videotape was not a permanent storage medium, and it died before the player did. I have since learned to take pictures and now that everything is digital, back them up.

The most deadly animal I've seen 'in person' was in Australia. The crocodiles grow to be over 2,000 pounds. A friend I knew from the Internet (guitarist) and whom I visited told us that people never fish in the same spot 3 nights in a row. The first night, the crock will find you. The second night it'll study you. The third night as soon as you turn your focus to your tackle box, you become the croc's lunch.

We observed from a safe distance and up a bluff.

A local told us where to go and what time the tide changes. That's when the crocs feed on the fish going back out on the tide

Notes ♫

Attachments

• P1030720%.JPG
    P1030720%.JPG
    266 KB · Views: 116
Hi Notes
Sorry for such a delay. I’m on a tight schedule since I’m putting a hardwood floor down. We’ve now finished the living room / dining room and need to start laying chipboard for our porcelain tiles. Today I woke up extra early so I could write this.

Cameras weren’t convenient back then. In fact, they were huge boxy things. Taking on on a saltwater fishing trip isn’t practical at all but to not know what happened to the shark afterwards is a real shame.

It’s good that you only fish for food. My husband is the same way. Killing anything for sport isn’t his way either. Thank goodness.

You enjoy 85 degree weather?
That is far too hot for me. I’m a total wuss in the heat. If it were that hot, I’d be in the water swimming or out on the water boating of some kind.

That was very kind of you to donate your tent for needed shelter as well as adding some led lights and food supplies. We’ve tent camped many places that had bears and wolves. On one of our interior camping trips, our first morning in our tent, we woke up to our dog barking at the bear looking in our back tent window. She had her bear cubs up on a cliff ledge not far away. It was a tad intimidating. Lol.

In Banff I came in contact with a group of bears. We were the campers who didn’t tie their food up. Another hiking trip we ran into a bear on our path. Our dog barked and we made lots of noise and it ran away. Again, very intimidating. My heart was raving for sure but a crocodile ? Hell no!

I had no idea that there was such a thing a King Mackerel. I’ve only seen and eaten regular mackerel and it was very good. I’ve never had grouper, red snappers or any of that other fish although it sounds very interesting. That’s one of the pluses about living beside the ocean. Freshly caught fish and often. Camping in a motor home would be luxurious.

My husbands brother and girlfriend are coming around this summer in one of those motor homes. They’ve decided to travel with the kids instead. My sister in law is visiting also. I like getting visitors. I’m working on losing some weight.

Hopefully this weekend I will be able to play my saxophone. Laying this floor really took a lot of focussed attention. Sorry for the long delay.

Very cool picture. I’ll see if I have any bear photos.

85F/30C is just about the perfect temperature for me. I guess I'm just acclimated to it, since I grew up in the days before air conditioning was common in homes.

On the other hand, if it gets below 75F/24C I get chilly and anything under 70F/21C means it's time to put a jacket on and close the house up.

Banff is on my list of places to go. I don't know of any nature lover who has been there and didn't love it. I've been to a number of US national parks, from the southern tip of Florida to the northern tip of Alaska.

Tenting in bear country doesn't seem like anything I'd like to do. I know how to be safe around alligators and water moccasins, I know how to survive a hurricane, but don't know enough about staying safe around bears. A class C motor home seems to me a better way to travel.

Mrs. Notes and I don't kill anything we don't have to, except mosquitoes. I'll swat one of those with no remorse.

After a hurricane some years ago, there was a tear in the screen on our porch. Wasps would get in the porch and not know how to get out again. Either one of us would take a plastic cup, invert it over the wasp, slide some cardboard under, and take the wasp out and release it. After a while, the wasps caught on. When we approached the wasp, it would fly into the cup.

Last week, we were playing at an outdoor gig by the beach, and a honeybee landed on my arm while I was playing the sax. She seemed to be licking me. She would hover, land in a different spot, and I'd feel that little tickle again. After a few minutes, she flew off. I googled when I got home and found the bees do indeed lick people, for the salt, which is an essential nutrient for them. So I guess I've been as-salted by a bee and lived to tell. (Actually, I enjoyed the exchange).

Also at the same gig, later as the crowd tapered off, there was a table open with nobody sitting there. A crow flew down and started pulling packets of sweetener out of the container. It would drop the artificial sweeteners on the table, fly off with the real sugar, and in a few minutes, come back for more. I'm sure that wasn't good for the crow, but it was resourceful.

One day in the Everglades National Park, I was sitting on a blanket by a pond that had a lot of wading birds feeding on what we commonly call mosquito fish. I ate an apple, and tucked the core half under my leg to be disposed of properly. A crow flew down, and studied me with its big black eye. I saw it eyeing me, then the apple, and I talked in low tones, saying something like, "I think you want that apple." It then calmly strutted towards me, tugged the apple core out from under my leg, took a couple os steps back, and flew off with its prize.

Good luck with your flooring. That's something we need to do, but we'd rather spend the money on travel ;)

Notes ♫

Back
Top Bottom