1st time buyer question?

I agree. Go with Dave at Junk dude before you trade a good tenor sax for a "beginner" instrument.

I figure any tenor in playing condition is worth at least $500, that B12, not so much.

Thanks again for everyones help and advice and so I've decided against the trade for the B12 - My sax was made in Japan about 1978 according to the serial number and recently went through, adjusted and made playable by a pro tech from another store - I have another dealer that has offered me a straight across trade for several totally refurbished by his in store tech wood clarinets - Signet 100, Selemr Omega, Buesher Aristocrat and a Noblet Paris - I've been told by a local professional player that if the Omega looks nice to pick it - I don't know the quality of any instrument due to my ingnorance but was told by the dealer they would all be in a nice case and with a new mouthpiece if necessary in addition to the total refurbish - Since I am unable to drive due to my health problems and money is short a friend has offered to drive me to make the trade which by my Goggle searching would be a much better trade deal - Again any additional comments are always appreciated - If anyone wants to talk I do have unlimited long distance and we be glad to call you for advice if you provide your phone # to me at dbrooker1(AT) winsdstream(DOT)net - Best regards - Dennis Brooker

Make sure you get a GOOD mouthpiece, not a generic no name mouthpiece - and not a rico either. They are alright, but for what you are trading in, you need a respectable mouthpiece and a box of reeds.

and a box of reeds!!

Thanks Carl - I'll do my best - I'll assume a respectable mouthpiece to be anything other than a no name or Rico

no

Spend some time googling clarinet mouthpiece recommendation. I like Sumner, Selmer HS* as stock mouthpieces, but others have different preferences. There are MANY lousy mouthpieces for clarinet. Might be worth a separate new thread - though this has been covered MANY times on almost every board dealing with the clarinet. Google would serve you well.

I now have a very nice, in my opinion, refrubished, with new Gator case, Hite mouth piece and LUYBEN ligature Selmer Omega - Going to order some #2 reeds from Amazon and the question is should I order some "Bore Oil" or is there something as good or beeter I can buy at the grocery or hardware store? Comments and help are again appreciated - Dennis Brooker

Avoid food products in your clarinet - and avoid the pads with whatever you put in your clarinet.

A dedicated bore oil costs basically nothing when you consider how many years you will get out of a single small container.

I'd try LaVoz MS on your clarinet instead of rico orange box. Check out ebay for new unopened boxes of reeds. You might be able to do better than on amazon. And pick up a silk Hodges swab for spreading your "condensation" around in the inside of the instrument after every play session. Other brands are just as good or better, but I have had good luck with the Hodges swabs and reed cases.

Back
Top Bottom