Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

82Z - 2 piece bell versus 1 piece bell

Steve

Clarinet CE/Moderator
Staff member
CE/Moderator
Does anyone have any information of when Yamaha stopped using 2 half- pieces formed as the bell on the 82Z Tenor (and alto ?), versus a regular one piece bell?

And any information on the over all tone, response, etc of a 2-piece vs 1 piece 82Z ?
Serial Number approx list of the switch ?
And how it now compares to an 875 ?

To answer my own question
with some information

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/winds/sax/altosax/yas-82z_02/
[h=3]One-piece bell with new engraving[/h]
E7D4EAA7AC284B85836DA43193E73AA3_12007.jpg

In the tradition of those coveted vintage saxophones, the 82Z now comes equipped with a one-piece bell! This feature drastically improves low end response and offers the player a wider palette of tonal color. More elaborate with finer detail, the new engraving design offers delicate beauty.

Thus I'm going to assume the new engraving is the key to the new 1-piece bell horn, if buying used.

I can answer from the perspective of one-piece vs. two-piece for the YBS-52 vs. YBS-62, circa 1987: the one-piece bell makes it a bit easier to play the low notes. It's perceptible, but not an earth-shattering difference. If the difference in price was only a couple hundred $, I would have gone for it. However, the difference in price was over $1000 at the time, so I didn't. The 52 was also only $1850. It's now almost $5500 and the 62's $8300, so it's even a greater difference in price, now. Of course, there are some other design differences with the 52 vs. 62. I don't know if there are any between the two-piece bell 82Z and one-piece bell 82Z. I didn't even know that the 82Z had a two-piece bell until this thread :).

I do wonder, though. Yamaha does have their parts list online. They might have two part numbers for the bells on the 82Z and you might be able to buy a two-piece bell 82Z then just buy a one-piece bell part.

The 82Z-II apparently has a new "wide bore tapered V-1" neck and a few other misc changes.

But I'm seeing if I can get my hands on a few. I want to see the tonehole variances between them to understand the playing characteristic differences as compared to an 875.

+1 to that. I've played an 875 alto and it was to me, at least, an extremely good Mark VI copy. I even thought it had the same resistance in the same place: upper altissimo (hey. I play bari). I haven't tried the 82Z and it's supposed to be a very "free blowing" horn.

When the 82Z came out I also recall Yamaha ads mentioning a new special alloy. What ever that means.
The 2 piece bell was interesting. I figured it would be more dead sounding as instead of one piece of sheet brass molded with 1 seam, you have 2 seams deadening sound projection .. at least for those that think construction, etc matters.

It seems as though they thought the same thing.

from Yamaha http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/winds/sax/altosax/yas-82z/
"
This has to be one of the most exciting things to happen to the sax world in modern times. Finally a modern sax that actually captures the sound and feel of those treasured classic saxes of the past - while adding state-of-the-art intonation and mechanism. Based on the scale of the classic '62' models, the new Custom Z saxes have bodies that are made of a special brass alloy for lighter weight, a great playing 'feel', and the kind of tonal flexibility you've always dreamed of. The Z plays evenly in all ranges, and gives you a huge dynamic range for as much - or as little - sound as you want. The Custom G1 neck helps produce a quick and agile response, while key action and placement feel just right. You can create whatever style tone you're after, from vintage to contemporary, and there's no need to sacriface comfort for sound. These horns literally 'have it all'.
[h=3]Body design[/h]The 82Z features a two-piece hydro-formed bell. The body, bell, and bow are annealed during production to make this horn more responsive and less resistant."

Of course I think it was the G1 neck that had lacquer spray in the octave pip which made it too small and caused a lot of playing issues .. or something like that.

Back
Top Bottom