A day that will live in infamy ....

Kenny G's birthday. 52 today.

Cue Songbird.

Which reminds me of the most amusing use of the Songbird - in the movie Cars.

I was watching an anime yesterday (Gunslinger Girl: Il Teatrino) and I noticed that the radio in a car displayed, "Now Playing: Huey Lewis and the News" but elevator music was the sound coming out ....

Nice that you got it in one, Ed.

I saw it on a google alert this morning and then noticed it on the most excellent Pete Hales Sax Calendar that I have at my desk.

*Snorts*

Infamy ... that's poetic. HAHA

While I don't have an opinion on Mr. G's music - as I feel I can't take an opinion on something I don't listen to - here is an old interview question/rant with Pat Methany to commemorate the occasion.

http://www.jazzoasis.com/methenyonkennyg.htm

*Snorts*

Infamy ... that's poetic. HAHA
I do love the fact that the saxophone world has it's own whipping boy. I a) liked "Songbird" b) do think the G man doesn't have the best soprano tone, but it's at least listenable and c) I'm very happy for what he's done for the soprano, specifically, and sax in general.

And we ALREADY have way more than enough threads about Mr. G.

I did want to note the day, though.

I would like to know if there are any other whipping-boy equivalents in other music genres

That is definitely a good question.

I'll be 52 in 29.5 years. Crazy.

Last edited:
And we ALREADY have way more than enough threads about Mr. G.

This is the first one I've run across here. And I agree it is more than enough.

I posted that link because I think it's completely hilarious and don't view it as any kind of merit for OR against. It's not like Methany is the jazz/music police. That wasn't the point. I find it ironic.

Personally, if he's happy with what he's doing, cool. Actually I was in futureshop once and there was some jazz on with a tenor player and I asked who it was cuz I was digging a lot of the lines and the sales guy said it was Kenny G. I mean I had no idea he could play like that because everyone always told me that he couldn't play jazz if it jumped up and bit him...

Anyways, it wasn't ment as a "let's beat the dead horse" kind of thing at all. So if it came off that way, I apologize.

I posted that link because I think it's completely hilarious and don't view it as any kind of merit for OR against. It's not like Methany is the jazz/music police. That wasn't the point. I find it ironic.

Personally, if he's happy with what he's doing, cool. Actually I was in futureshop once and there was some jazz on with a tenor player and I asked who it was cuz I was digging a lot of the lines and the sales guy said it was Kenny G. I mean I had no idea he could play like that because everyone always told me that he couldn't play jazz if it jumped up and bit him...

Anyways, it wasn't ment as a "let's beat the dead horse" kind of thing at all. So if it came off that way, I apologize.
No. Other way around: you got the wrong idea. No problems at all with your post(s). My post at 2:04 was essentially to forestall the pro-G vs. anti-G forces. Those are like the Mac vs. PC debates -- and I have a lot of fun telling people that I'm a tech with certs on both sides and I can see the value of each platform. And even Linux, too.

My apologies for the misunderstanding.

A lot of folks don't realize -- as you sorta didn't in "futureshop" -- that a lot of the "smooth jazz" musicians have great jazz chops. The standard example I use is David Sanborn: I hate the music he writes, but he plays everything else just great -- and did that for years on the Letterman shows.

I'll let you go with the text from a Get Fuzzy cartoon:

Satchel (he's the dog): I have an odd question.
Bucky (he's the cat): Shoot.
Satchel: In a fight between Kenny G and Michael Bolton, who'd win?
Bucky: We all would, Satchel. We all would.

Ok cool :eek:)! ... That's good. I have a couple of Sanborn albums.

It's funny though, because as soon as that guy told me it was Kenny G, in my brain I was like well I'm not supposed to like that. You don't realize how if you keep hearing the same thing over and over even if it's not true, you start to believe it.

The mac vs. PC debate sucks! It's like all the great debates out there ... Everyone and No one is right. The answer to the Mac vs. PC debate is .... *drum roll please* If you think 'A' system (or 'B' system) is better, quit arguing with people and just go use it. :eek:)

Last edited:
FWIW, there's an easy way to solve the Mac vs. PC vs. Linux debate: you have software for which platform? If you don't have any, THEN you have a question. The breakdown is, essentially:

* If you can live with non-industry standard apps that work almost as good as the industry standards and are almost compatible with the industry standards, you have virtually no budget AND you're either an expert or know an expert, Linux is for you. (No whining about WINE: it's difficult to set up.)

Linux is an awesome setup, particularly Ubuntu, but it is difficult to set up. After it's set up properly, it'll work perfectly forever. (Also, if you want to do Linux and you don't have a clue about it, have your expert build a machine or buy a Dell.)

* If you are more interested in taking the long view on total-cost-of-ownership, you're not a gamer and you've got more money up-front, a Mac is for you. The TCO comes from the fact that it requires fewer support calls, is easier to learn and the hardware tends to break down less than on PCs. (I've used Macs, professionally, since 1985 and I've worked FOR a fruity company and several Mac-only shops, so I have an informed opinion.)

* If you want to be compatible with 99% of the world, out of the box, you don't have tons of cash and you're either a techie guy OR have a support staff -- or are a serious gamer -- Windows is right for you. I recommend Vista to people that don't have much (or any) computer experience or are serious gamers that need DirectX 10. Otherwise get XP. It's faster.

FWIW, there's an easy way to solve the Mac vs. PC vs. Linux debate: you have software for which platform? If you don't have any, THEN you have a question. The breakdown is, essentially:

* If you can live with non-industry standard apps that work almost as good as the industry standards and are almost compatible with the industry standards, you have virtually no budget AND you're either an expert or know an expert, Linux is for you. (No whining about WINE: it's difficult to set up.)

Linux is an awesome setup, particularly Ubuntu, but it is difficult to set up. After it's set up properly, it'll work perfectly forever. (Also, if you want to do Linux and you don't have a clue about it, have your expert build a machine or buy a Dell.)

* If you are more interested in taking the long view on total-cost-of-ownership, you're not a gamer and you've got more money up-front, a Mac is for you. The TCO comes from the fact that it requires fewer support calls, is easier to learn and the hardware tends to break down less than on PCs. (I've used Macs, professionally, since 1985 and I've worked FOR a fruity company and several Mac-only shops, so I have an informed opinion.)

* If you want to be compatible with 99% of the world, out of the box, you don't have tons of cash and you're either a techie guy OR have a support staff -- or are a serious gamer -- Windows is right for you. I recommend Vista to people that don't have much (or any) computer experience or are serious gamers that need DirectX 10. Otherwise get XP. It's faster.

That was an awesome breakdown.

Back
Top Bottom