A sax at two places at once

Aulos303

_•_ •_• __ •_•_ •____|
Banned :(
Today I saw an Elkhart Alto in the window of Cash Converters going for £260.
I got curious and found the exact same instrument listed on ebay. Same price, even the same stand, and also in my town. Has to be the exact same instrument. So how does that work? Cash Converters is like a used goods store, lots of different stuff in there, I don't know what the equivalent would be in the US.
So if someone buys it from the store it will no longer be available on ebay and the seller would have to pull the listing. And vice versa. Except it gets a bit tricky if someone wins the ebay bid. How is the guy gonna deal with the guys in Cash Converters!
Just seemed weird.
Oh and are Elkhart a decent make?

It happens all the time. There's nothing in the Ebay contract to prevent a seller from advertising an item elsewhere as long as the item is withdrawn immediately if it is sold before the end of the auction period. Generally the seller posts an "Item no longer available" message. A well-mannered seller will advise that the item is advertised elsewhere and that it will be withdrawn if sold.
Cash Convertors is, at its simplest, a pawn shop. Often items are bought with no intention that they will ever be redeemed, but the option is there. They have achieved some notoriety as a convenient means of disposing of items of dubious provenance.

It happens all the time. There's nothing in the Ebay contract to prevent a seller from advertising an item elsewhere as long as the item is withdrawn immediately if it is sold before the end of the auction period. Generally the seller posts an "Item no longer available" message. A well-mannered seller will advise that the item is advertised elsewhere and that it will be withdrawn if sold.
Cash Convertors is, at its simplest, a pawn shop. Often items are bought with no intention that they will ever be redeemed, but the option is there. They have achieved some notoriety as a convenient means of disposing of items of dubious provenance.

Duh I just checked again. The ebay seller is also the shop owner. Ccdton (Cash converters darlington )

"Elkhart" was the name of the second line from Buescher. They're essentially True Tones made with older tooling. (Note that Elkhorn is the name of an old Holton model.)

I know, based on other threads you've posted, you're trying to get ultra cheap instruments. This isn't one of them. If you save up a bit more you can buy a Yamaha 23 stencil that will be much better horn for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Elkhart" was the name of the second line from Buescher. They're essentially True Tones made with older tooling. (Note that Elkhorn is the name of an old Holton model.)

I know, based on other threads you've posted, you're trying to get ultra cheap instruments. This isn't one of them. If you save up a bit more you can buy a Yamaha 23 stencil that will be much better horn for you.

I'm not trying to get an ultra cheap instrument, I'm just seeing what's out there. I know nothing about woodwind brands-the only names I've heard of are Selmer and Buffet. Its more a case of learning what to avoid.

Or a Yamaha 23 for not really that much more.
For saxes, I would consider an actual Buescher from before 1960 if you see one, though, as most of them are great in my opinion. (Hence my username being a Buescher trademark)

Of course, I should hype my thread regarding Yamahas and stencils to buy: http://www.woodwindforum.com/forum/showthread.php?6707-(Weekly-)-List-of-Yamaha-Altos-Under-500.

Going back to Aulos303's comment and supported by TrueTone's comment, there are an awful lot of woodwind manufacturers out there. Just depends on the woodwind you're talking about. However, one of the problems you get into when you start talking about older horns is you generally have to start talking about a specific date or serial number range that you should look at. Generally, after one or two sentences talking about that, you lose 90% of your audience.

As far as Selmer and Buffet are concerned, I could probably spend about an hour and a half talking about either company. The number one thing about Selmer that you need to know is that Selmer Paris isn't Selmer USA or Selmer American or Selmer Manhattan or (you get the idea). Modern Selmer Paris instruments aren't even always Selmer Paris instruments, but have some Selmer Paris parts. As far as Buffet is concerned, there's an entire range of Buffet instruments that weren't made by Buffet, but by Taiwanese, German, or Italian companies.

Its all interesting stuff Pete. And the history side of things is right up my street!

Back
Top Bottom