Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Acme

Helen

Content Expert Saxophones
Staff member
Administrator
Does anyone know if all Acme brand saxes were Malerne stencils? There is one on eBay now that someone asked me about this morning. Comparing the bad photos one has to go on, to the pictures of the Acme stencil on the sax pics site, it looks to be the same. (I'm basing this on the keyguards & the shape of the Eb & C keys to a great degree.)

What were these Acme horns? Student models? Intermediate level horns? Any idea when they might have been manufactured? Pete do you know anything about them?

Whenever I hear the name Acme, I can't help but think of this guy...:-D

Whenever I hear the name Acme, I can't help but think of this guy...:-D
Actually I first misread the subject as the medical term for some skin condition...

And I know the guy who owns acme.com... (nothing to do with horns)

Acme: Instantaneous Delivery Free!

Yah. Malerne stencil.

Malerne had, as it's pro line, Buffet Dynaction and SuperDynaction horns (I have a Malerne catalog kickin' around). That means most Malernes are not exactly professional. Not that they're bad, tho.

I have recently seen a couple other horns labeled "Malerne" that look to be, well, not made by any other company. And there are the "R. Malerne" curved sopranos, too.

But the ones that look like the ones on saxpics.com, those are the "non-pro" models.

I fondly remember as a child seeing frequent Acme references popping up in the pages of Mad magazine fortifying gags.
Wish that I still had some of them.... comic genius.

Back
Top Bottom