Adolphe Sax Alto on eBay

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-ADOLPHE-SAX-PERE-ALTO-SAXOPHONE-COMPLETELY-AND-BEAUTIFULLY-RESTORED-/230785140085?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35bbddc575#ht_11386wt_1397]Linky.[/URL]
It's a "buy it now" at $6360.

Note that the serial number (and possibly date of manufacture) have been removed from the instrument, so the seller's going off the address and saying, "Between 1878 to 1885."

There happens to be a partial list of ALL Adolphe Sax instruments here. This is a very partial list -- many of the horns I had listed at saxpics.com aren't on it -- but the fact that the serial number is missing could = instrument was stolen at some point. I wonder what you'd do about that. Obviously the seller, Wichita Band Instruments, was confident enough in the current owner of the horn to do a complete overhaul.

They did a nice restoration, and the price is reasonable. It's a fairly late model, maybe 1880, so it probably plays at around A=435, but you can still use it in a modern ensemble. The keys are quite different from the ones on my 1876 alto.

Nice, looks as if it has 1887 stamped on it....

Pete, the ebay link in the first post is corrupt, seems to have got mixed up with the forum tags. Can get there by deleting the first part of the URL it brings up when you click on it.

Back
Top Bottom