Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Altissimo trouble

OK, I'll bite. You're going to have to be a bit more specific. What kind of troubles? What instrument are you playing?

There are lots of players with decades of experiences here who might be able to help you out, but you're going to have to provide us with more details before we can offer you any possible suggestions.

Rousseau's book is not my favourite--although it is among the numerous books I have on the subject. It is certainly the most comprehensive in that it provides fingerings for all different saxes (SATB), and goes into detail that the others don't.

I'm still pretty old school in my thinking though, in that a really good teacher is paramount to developing good altissimo chops. Like most people over the age of 40, I started on the 2 staples: Top Tones by Rascher, and Studies in High Harmonics by TedNash.

A few years ago I picked up the Rousseau book just to see if it would be something I'd want to use with my students, but in the end I decided against it. I usually go with the Rosemary Lang book (Beginning Studies in the Altissimo Register) instead (for alto and tenor only though).

Thanks Helen. I will check out Rosemary Lang's Book. This is the first time I have been made aware of it. I like Rousseau's book because of the logical and systematic way he approaches teaching and learning the skill.

OP still has to mention what instrument he plays before you can start suggesting method books :p.

I know Pete. Hence my original point. ;) At this point jbt and I were just having our own little side exchange. :)

I am starting alto sax but play clarinet.
On the clarinet I am not too bad in the upper registers and have improved, especially accuracy and tone, by using a harder reed - worth a try.
Must be honest, as I am new to the sax, I find the upper register pretty easy, my difficulties lie in the lower notes on the lower register.
Another comment not related to this but related to new sax playing, I find that the semitones on the sax are a lot less intuitive than on the clarinet but I suppose that is because I am used to the clarinet.

I moved the thread here. A lot of the folks that post here double with sax, clarinet and/or a variety of other instruments.

> my difficulties lie in the lower notes on the lower register
Sorry. Isn't the title of the thread, "Altissimo Trouble"? "Alto" and "altissimo" mean two very different things.
Anyhow, responding to to the lower-end problems on alto sax, the first question I'd have for you would be where the troubles start and stop. If you're talking about, say, troubles from Bb to D (i.e.
:TrebleClef::spaceb: to :TrebleClef::Space0:) but low D and higher works great, you may have a problem with a leak and that's fairly common. Or you might not have the breath support needed, yet, or you're using too much of a clarinet embochure on the sax -- or holding it wrong. Another thing you can try if there isn't a leak and if we're just talking that Bb to C# range, you can also try putting a PLASTIC mouthpiece cover in the bell or a cork from a wine bottle. Yes, seriously. Just drop it in.

Thanks Pete for your reprimand and also your interesting comments.

I get confused and sometimes think that Altissimo refers to the upper register when I realise it refers to the cat frightening notes above - am I right?

My problems with the low B and C are most likely to be down to my lack of experience and my change from the clarinet, but I will try what you suggest and report back what happens.

I'm new to this BB so be gentle with me ;-)

I taught beginning woodwind students for many years in band. Students who wanted to play saxophone were required to play clarinet their first year and then switch over the summer. (The reasoning behind doing so is the topic of another thread.) In the "changeover" class I emphasized the following differences between the saxophone and the clarinet.

The Clarinet
  1. Is played with an "EE - OO" embouchure where both sets of muscles tie in a tug-o-war producing a flat chin.
  2. Plays at the top of the mouthpiece pitch.
  3. The mouthpiece goes down at about a 45º angle.
  4. Is generally played with fast cold air.

The Saxophone

1. Is played with an "EE - OO" embouchure in which the "OO's" win the tug-o-war producing a rounded chin.
  2. Plays near the center of the mouthpiece pitch. A=880 on the mouthpiece alone, Ab concert on the mouthpiece and neck.
  3. The mouthpiece enters straight into the mouth.
  4. Is generally played with warm air---especially the low register.

Some tips to help play notes in the low register

• Open the throat as if doing the first part of a yawn or singing "AHH" on the lowest note you can hit.
  • Keep the back of the tongue down flat in the mouth. "AHH" rather than "EE" is the feeling.
  • Keep the embouchure firm. Avoid the tendency to relax the embouchure for the low notes.
  • Blow lots of warm air (the lower you go, the harder you blow) Unlike the clarinet, the tube gets wider as it gets longer.
  • Imagine blowing your airstream down toward your LH thumb (this helps to open the throat)

Exercises to help play notes in the low register
  • Start on a note that is easy to play like a low G and slur down to a low C with a crescendo.
  • Learn to play the notes loud at first. Developing the control to play those notes softly will take time.
  • When you can "hit" the low C, then hold it as a long tone for as long as you can.
  • When the low C is under control, try starting on that note, both with and without the tongue.
  • When low C is mastered, repeat the exercise slurring down to low B and Bb.

Back
Top Bottom